• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 explorer 4.0 sohc into 99 xlt ranger

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well I've got the 2001 ranger 4.0 donor column and ecm installed into my 99 factory 3.0 ranger. I pulled 4.0 sohc motor trans and t-case from 2001 explorer....which i hopefully will have dropped into 99 ranger this weekend...
But i noticed while looking at the empty engine bay my truck the black ball in the front right...I'm assuming it's for vacuum...whereas the 01 explorer had a different system the front left...
Long story short..anyone know what I'm looking at to everything proper?

Thanks you guys have been great help so far

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"the black ball" is the Vacuum reservoir, it needs to be hooked to the intake manifold, for vacuum source, abbreviated VRES on most vacuum diagrams
Follow explorers hose to see where it hooked up on the intake

The black ball then has a black vacuum line, hard line, that will run to, and then thru, the firewall into the cab
It goes to the Climate control panel
The vent selection, Defrost, panel, floor, is controlled by Vacuum "motors".
Defrost Vent is the Default, no vacuum, vent
So with no vacuum no other vent can be selected

Reason for the Vacuum Reservoir is because vacuum in the intake varies, high at idle low to 0 when accelerating.
So if you used direct Vacuum to vent control every time you accelerated Vent selection would change to Defrost vent by default
And this happens if your Vacuum reservoir has a leak, its a symptom of a fault in the reservoir of vacuum line to the reservoir.

There is also a Gray vacuum line at the firewall, near the Black one.
This Gray line goes to heater hose valve, it is heat control or MAX AC control depending on the year, it also gets vacuum from black line at Climate Control panel

Last edited:

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Wow quick and through...thanks!! I figured it'd be best to try and get this pinned down BEFORE i installed the engine...I'll look at it between now and the weekend...if i remember correctly there's a couple off vacumn lines off the 4.0 motor...
Thanks again, I'll post more as i go..great help again!!

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well there are 2 plugs for the steering column change over that don't match shape and writing colour wise.. One s a 4 write plug..the other had several...but today i just dropped the 4.0 in and am. taking a break from bolting up trans and converter... Both are lined up, just have to finish installing anal the bolts...good progress seeing as its first 90 degree day of the year and I'm outside my garage..in gravel....

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Having issues with plugs..big is for to body drivers looks like the old 3.0 factory will into n new 2001 4.0.....the inside on lefty side for i need o figure out how properly writing gether..i went and the plug the donor2001 ranger i. Got column ecm out of....HELP?!!!!there's some plugs this all i could take pics of and resize for posting this morning...thanks again...

Attachments

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The bottom 2 peice gray plug is a match except for 4 wires on the factory 3.0 side and 2 wires the 2001 4.0 ranger donor climb..both trucks are xlt flairside models, just different years...i looked art the old 3.0 99 column and the flasher iss hanging there..matched the wires to the 99 flasher and harness and 4 ways and turns now work properly...
Going thru the big square plug on the left rear valve. ( picture above) and only have 4 pins that aren't match..but i should hopefully have the last pages of info for getting them arranged tomorow...so maybe get lucky and try power up the motor this weekend...calling for bad weather so we'll see...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals