• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01+ Tire questions...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok well I'm down in Ohio visiting my mom and I'm looking over her truck cause its getting about 12 mpg.... the tires are wearing funny and one has a possible bulge...

I'm changing the fuel filter and checking the plugs/wires (if they have the tools here) for the fuel mileage cause neither have been changed since the truck was bought...

Anyways Why I'm here in the tire section. To those of you with 01+ trucks with the Live axles I was wondering if the front end of your trucks wore through tires faster on the inside? On the tires just the inner tread is wearing, I figure its out of alignment or somethings worn but I noticed the front end likes to grab on turns like mine does when the hubs are locked and I know its bad to drive on dry pavement like that so am thinking maybe its just from the turning?

The tires are BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's size 245/75R16 with about 30,000 miles on them. The rest of the tires look like they have 30k on them just not the inside.

Also one of them apparently has a bulge so I am looking for it and looking into new tires for the truck.

My question is its a 4.0L SOHC Auto 4x4 4 door extended cab with a camper shell and 4.10 gearing sitting on 245/75R16's. My question is since its the 4.0L with 4.10's would jumping up to a 265/75 or a 265/70 help the fuel economy any? she never hauls things so power isn't a big issue, and if the tires aren't heavier then perhaps I could get an extra 1 - 2 mpgs? or would a slightly smaller tire help?

Also Anyone reccommend a good Highway tread or other high mileage low rolling resistance tire?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would not suggest bigger tires on that, stick with the 245/75s and make sure the pressure is correct (or maybe even run an extra 5 PSI in them) if MPG is your primary concern.
I know Michelin has some good high-mileage tires in their lineup (my dad has LTX A/S tires on his dodge that seem like good mileage-orientated 'truck' tires).

As for the alignment, it definitely sounds like it's off to me (toed-out). The axle turning all the time should have no bearing on tire wear as long as the transfer case is in 2WD. Bad alignment can have an effect on MPG as well.

azreb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
One school of thought says that narrower tires will give better gas mileage. If that is correct a 215/85R16 should be practically the same diameter (if my math is correct), not affecting speedometer readings and be a bit narrower. I am not sure the theory is true, tho. I did the same thing with a Nissan and don't recall a significant mileage difference. The tire company did say that changing from the factory size could adversely affect handling. Their lawyers probably required that statement.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger wore inside only because of alignment. Should be very obvious that alignment is out by looking straight on at front end. Top of tires will be bow legged; top in, bottom out.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
One school of thought says that narrower tires will give better gas mileage. If that is correct a 215/85R16 should be practically the same diameter (if my math is correct), not affecting speedometer readings and be a bit narrower.
The 215/85's I've seen are all 10 ply though, much too stiff for a Ranger. Will ride hard, flat spot, and not help mpg much at all. Get an alignment and keep the stock size for best mpg. If I recall my old '02 Ranger correctly, the manual called for 30 in front and 35 in the rear but I would reverse that (unless I was going to load it up), 35 front and 30 rear, and the tires wore perfectly.

Shovel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My question is its a 4.0L SOHC Auto 4x4 4 door extended cab with a camper shell and 4.10 gearing sitting on 245/75R16's. My question is since its the 4.0L with 4.10's would jumping up to a 265/75 or a 265/70 help the fuel economy any? she never hauls things so power isn't a big issue, and if the tires aren't heavier then perhaps I could get an extra 1 - 2 mpgs? or would a slightly smaller tire help?
Didn't help me. Although I went with a more agressive all terrain than the previous slicks, I got 2-3 MPG less jumping up to a 265/75. :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals