• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08 FX4 SAS

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Done lots to the truck lately. Mostly prep for SAS. Removed body lift, Sold the coilovers, Got a bumper and winch, Extended all breathers. Did some wheelin. Got stuck. The 35s stuff nicely. Truck is doing awesome for now. Eventually itll get a Core 44 up front though

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
is that some the muss-keg stuff ? looks like a puddle left by a sasquatch. :shok:

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
is that some the muss-keg stuff ? looks like a puddle left by a sasquatch. :shok:
Very deceiving trail conditions. Deep soupy mud covered by dry grass and twigs. Was a good time

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Finally warm enough to camp!

UltraHDGames

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fx4 Level 2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" Crank, Shackles, AAL Bilstein 5100s
Tire Size
285/75r16
Bumper looks great! Can't wait to get mine

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What bumper is that?

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
I built a rear bumper and fold down tire carrier a few weeks ago. Still need to add tube to wrap around the box sides. Also got rid of the stock flares, did some more trimming, and mounted a set of Long John mud flaps

Then installed a trans temp gauge. Ill be adding an electric fan to the ATF cooler in a week or so to try and keep the temps below 200. My Ranger weighs almost 5400lbs when loaded for camping. Getting up there.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i still dig that tent.

it gets heavy fast for sure. its been better then a decade since my truck was less then 5500 empty..

i would bet people offer to buy that bumper...every time i build one it gets sold

the rear bumper looks ideal.... i do similar with flaps depending on what state i am going to. my chain mudflaps were stolen 3 times so i am not building another set of those...apparently i should have took them into the hotel room with me....pa cops didnt like them anyway.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Sweet ride, very well done. I put a torsen in the front of mine as well and it does make a big difference off-road. Where did you get the gauge pod for the trans temp gauge? It looks perfect there, I may do the same thing at some point.

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
i still dig that tent.

it gets heavy fast for sure. its been better then a decade since my truck was less then 5500 empty..

i would bet people offer to buy that bumper...every time i build one it gets sold

the rear bumper looks ideal.... i do similar with flaps depending on what state i am going to. my chain mudflaps were stolen 3 times so i am not building another set of those...apparently i should have took them into the hotel room with me....pa cops didnt like them anyway.
I've had a couple questions about it but people are usually surprised when i tell them how cheap it is from affordable offroad. And ya these long john mud flaps are a nice simple solution for tire poke.

Sweet ride, very well done. I put a torsen in the front of mine as well and it does make a big difference off-road. Where did you get the gauge pod for the trans temp gauge? It looks perfect there, I may do the same thing at some point.
The biggest difference I noticed with the Torsen is driving in snow. Just pulls me wherever i point the wheels. it does make some noise though, when your pushing it hard.

The guage pod is an Auto Meter #15309. I got it off amazon. Its for older ranger but fits perfect. And super cheap.

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
My AC Condenser took a bit of a hit on my last day out. No issues with it so far though. This is about how much you should trust the factory FX4 skid plate.

And I got my trans cooler fan installed

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The only thing on my Christmas wish list to the family is that front bumper. Probably won't happen... but a fella can hope.

Nice job on the rear bumper... I like it. I built one similar for my 94 that hauls the skamper. I didn't tuck it between the quarter panels though. It extended to the outside of the quarter panels and the I added tie down eye bolts for the camper. Though I like the tire carrier... I have a cap or canopy on my new truck and I don't think that carrier would work so well. I think I would prefer a swing out carrier. But your bumper is inspiration for my next one with a swing out carrier. Good job...

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
The only thing on my Christmas wish list to the family is that front bumper. Probably won't happen... but a fella can hope.

Nice job on the rear bumper... I like it. I built one similar for my 94 that hauls the skamper. I didn't tuck it between the quarter panels though. It extended to the outside of the quarter panels and the I added tie down eye bolts for the camper. Though I like the tire carrier... I have a cap or canopy on my new truck and I don't think that carrier would work so well. I think I would prefer a swing out carrier. But your bumper is inspiration for my next one with a swing out carrier. Good job...
Well did you get a bumper for Christmas?

Ya i made it the width of my tailgate cause i plan to run some tube around the box sides. Wanted to leave room for the bends. And I went with fold down just for simplicity. I like it so far. Tires drops all the way to the ground and provides a step for getting in the box.

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Well I went on a camping/wheeling trip over new years at a popular trail called whipsaw. Truck did great for the most part. We had to turn around when the we started plowing 4 ft of snow the first day. Started losing daylight.

So we went to turn around and found that my buddy in his SAS ranger broke the track bar off his frame. That made the rest of the trip pretty interesting. Had to ratchet strap the axle in place, find someone in town to let us use the welder, and away we went to find our next camp site.

The next day we headed home. It wasn't till i was pulling into my shop when my front Torsen LSD decided in didnt want to differentiate anymore. It started making some bad noises and operating like a spool. I could barely pull in into the shop. I immediately pulled the front diff and threw my original open carrier back in and the truck is functional again.

Luckily I talked to Torsen and they are going to warranty it even though im just past the one year mark. That's good customer service right there.

Also Im starting to have some auto tranny issues. Pops out of gear on steep hill climbs and overheats. Here we go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals