• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

110 MPG from an 87 Mustang

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
http://www.local6.com/automotive/16768626/detail.html

I would love to see this.
Pelmear, who lives in Napoleon, Ohio, has tweaked his Mustang to get 110 mpg, making the engine nearly five times as efficient as a traditional gas engine, he told the Toledo Blade newspaper.

Traditional gas engines operate at 8 to 10 percent, efficiency, while the engine on the Mustang, he said, is at 38 percent efficiency.

"I'm an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there," Pelmear told the Toledo Blade. "That's why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.

Pelmear told television station WNWO that the car hasn't traded power for miles per gallon. Pelmear said the car has 400 horsepower, goes well over 100 mph and can go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
The car gets 110mpg and pushes 400hp? Something don't seem right.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if and i repeat if many many many times...this is true it wont be worth it because of all the electronics. it will be great for now but give it a couple years on the electronics and it will cost more than it will save. you will need a electronics engineer just to fix your car.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A hundred mile down hill at idol maybe
does anyone know how efficient 6 strokes are?
after the 4th stroke water is injected and the steam acts as another stroke, pretty cool

reno

Reaction score
why would people knock this? He has entered his car into a legitimate contest, and if he wins, the electronics would certainly be reduced to a small box. Look at your PCM and how much it controls.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why would people knock this? He has entered his car into a legitimate contest, and if he wins, the electronics would certainly be reduced to a small box. Look at your PCM and how much it controls.
Agreed. The bs flag is actually bs in this situation. Because if your entering a vehicle into a legitimate contest then your claims as to its mpg also would have to be legitimate.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
This kind of reminds me of all of the perpetual motion machines out there that crop up from time to time. Like the most recent one that's supposed to use an alternator and electric motor, you give the electric motor a "boost" and makes the alternator generate electricity which in turn powers the electric motor and is supposed to generate excess electricity but like everything else out there it's just a pipe dream. People thrive on stuff like this because it gives hope to a better world, but sometimes you just cannot be an optimist.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let's see:

400 hp
500 ft*lbf
0-60mph in 3 seconds
Top speed of 180 mph
He won't let anybody even take a glance under the hood due to "upcoming patents".

He's running E-85 in this car. He must be taking his mileage to account for actual gasoline usage only... Sure he's only using 1 gallon of gas to go 100 miles, but he's sucking down an additional 6 gallons of ethanol in the process. That comes out to around 14 mpg, which sounds about right for a 5.0 Fox body running E85....

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Agreed. The bs flag is actually bs in this situation. Because if your entering a vehicle into a legitimate contest then your claims as to its mpg also would have to be legitimate.
I don't know. The article doesn't give much info. The guy certainly isn't getting 110mpg putting out the full 400hp the whole way. It doesn't even specify "at highway speeds" or anything. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if when the dust settles, yeah, it can get 110mpg, but only by driving under conditions which are not obtainable on the streets. Under "normal" conditions i'll get about the same an everyone else, maybe a little better.

BTW, there are quacks who enter legitimate contests from time to time. Real nutjobs aren't deterred by a little attention.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
whats that racing class where the cars must have under a half inch of lift and most of the cars get over 20mpg on the street? pure street or something like that?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What I find funniest is is claim that his engine is running 38% efficient, as though that's "exceptional." That's about where it ran from the factory; it's a bit over half the perfect thermal limit.

That 8-10% figure came from a certain rectal cavity.

There is NO way to get 110 MPG from a conventional chassis with a pump-gas powered internal combustion engine without external energy input (i.e., cheating). The only way that's going to happen with an ICE is to go to ultralight chassis. Like those 40cc Honda scooters (even those get more like 75 MPG).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals