• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

11mm x 1.5 pitch at ABS unit,,,GRRRRR & rusty lines

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
rusty brake line time on my 2000, broke off at the hose bracket on the drivers side. figured it would be easier to remove the line and work on the flaring in the basement.
undid the fitting at the ABS and snaked the line out, rotating it like a screw it actually came out the bottom kind of easy.
once in the basement, matched the line up with a new 12" section and cut the lower part off.
now the fun begins, it seems the factory steel lines are quite strong and it bent the extension on the die. so much for a quick and easy double flare. (and trusting cheap flaring kits)
on to plan B, replace the entire line. problem is, it's a funky thread of some sort. back out to the truck to look at the fitting on top of the ABS. mic'ed it to about .42", so it's either 11mm or 7/16"
try both fine and standard 7/16 dies, neither fit:dntknw: . eventually determined it was 1.5mm pitch, so it must be metric at 11mm. I was already in deeper than I wanted to be, so I didn't even try to pull the adapter out the top of the ABS and see what it was.
off the Advance Auto, only 2 blocks away in search of an 11mm x 1.5 adapter :haha::haha::haha::haha: at least they wished me good luck.
plan C, replace entire line utilizing the old top fitting. cut off the top of the factory line to get the "super special" 11mm female fitting.
hopefully after 3 or 4 more attempts my double flares won't look so crooked. I even put the cut off end in my lathe to square and bevel it. must have left too much sticking out of the tool as it kind of mushed a bit to one side.
gave up for the night, maybe tomorrow I'll get a better flaring tool.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals