• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1983 2.3l performance build

Gasboxy123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1983 ranger with that 2.3k 4 cylinder. Me and my dad have it in the shop getting fixed and they found that the engine is going to need to rebuild with 2 of the 4 cylinders being Burnt up, my dad thought that we should do a full engine over haul on it , what kind of performance parts can we throw in it with stock block to make it into a mean little engine with some good horsepower. Thanks .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Esslinger Engineering is going to be your go-to for knowledge & parts. There are a few other companies out there too that sell performance stuff. Lima engines were/are really popular for circle track racing. My experience is that they are ridiculously heavy for what they are, stock parts are getting very hard to find and performance parts are mega expensive. I love them but I'd really think about an engine swap to something else unless you are dedicated to what you have or emissions prevent you from doing that.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
About all you can expect without a bunch of money is around 100-120hp if you stay carbureted and such... these engines are mostly limited by the intake ports in the head so some generous porting (stay somewhat reasonable, there's water jackets in t here... but there's plenty of room to smooth things out). and a cam will likely get you what you'll get, depending on what the stock compression ratio was going to higher compression pistons might help too... I'd stay in the 9-10:1 range though.

Stitter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Spl
Transmission
Manual
Late to the party here.

Good sources for parts
Esslinger
Racerwalsh
Boport
BigRmotorsports
Delta Cams (if you want a regrind)

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Do what I've thought about on occasion, swap in a honda k24 engine, they make adaptors to fit a chevy transmission. Then you have way more power, better fuel efficiency, better parts availability in the future, and quite a few choices for power upgrades.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals