• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 bronco 2 restore

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
let me pick you guys brains for a little. i recently bought a 1984 bronco 2 from a guy. he has been in the military so its been sitting for a good 8+years. well after putting a new tranny in her i finally got her running. had to fix the idle speed. when i try to start in any gear but neutral she wont start. park doesent work and when she is running i got no reverse. when i try to put in in gear and drive she revvs and on the down revs she lurches forward. any clue whats going on? shes my dream project car so im trying to fix her up with knowledge i have gained from reading books and watching videos on this stuff. anyway hopefully someones got an idea, for now im gonna go troubleshoot some things.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I’d say it’s either low fluid, bad torque converter, or a bad transmission. If it was a brand new transmission, did you go through the purge procedures when you filled it with fluid?

Odd that it won’t start in park but will in neutral…

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
yea she starts in neutral just fine. possible bad neutral safety switch cause i got no spark in park. yea i did all that and even made sure the tranny was clean and leak free before i put her in. it feels like to me being under the truck that the shift linkage is kinda loose and not clicking into gear but i cant really tell as this is the first time i have messed with any tranny to shifter parts. could be i missing parts to the shifter linkage but if so i dont know where it would connect to and what it would be but thats just a idea on my end.

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
i also like to say that after a min she drove just fine. went up in gears as i went faster and slowed down properly. so no im just trying to figure out why i only have drive lol

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get the transmission? A lot of shops quit rebuilding and selling just the transmission for someone else to put in. When the old tranny goes bad, it sends a bunch of metal and debris into the cooler lines and the transmission cooler. When you hook the new tranny up, all this debris gets sent to the new tranny and it fails. Most of the mail order tranny shops send a filter you must install in the cooler lines or they won't warranty the the transmission.

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
well i got this tranny from autowreckers up in Oregon its a c4 off a 1994? i think ford ranger. barely had any miles on it i think it was like 20k or 25k. i replaced the cooler lines along with the tranny just to be safe.it came with a torque converter as well. the transfer case is the only thing i kept from the old tranny.

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
went back under the truck and after some research i noticed the vacuum modulator was not hooked up the any vacuum line. ill try and do more test tomorrow to see if that was it. first time messing with transmissions so ive got limited knowledge.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
well i got this tranny from autowreckers up in Oregon its a c4 off a 1994? i think ford ranger. barely had any miles on it i think it was like 20k or 25k. i replaced the cooler lines along with the tranny just to be safe.it came with a torque converter as well. the transfer case is the only thing i kept from the old tranny.
Don't forget the radiator. It's too late now, but they do make cans of flush you can buy to flush it out. A c4 is a old transmission not offered in a ranger or Bronco II. They had the c3 or the c5 in 1984. I think the overdrive was offered in 1985 and they dropped the other choices.

ChickenJesus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
looking back the tranny is off a 86 ford ranger. i dident think about the radiator but ill look into flushing that as well. have yet to notice any metal scrappings and all that worrying stuff in the fluids. have yet to test drive her again getting there though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals