• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 BII A4LD Trans Leak

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress. I'm wondering how you will take the exhaust crossover pipe out. I'm about to take mine out too.
From some of the research I've been doing, it says it is not needed to remove. Guess I'll find out when I get under there lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can get it out without removing the Y pipe but it's a LOT easier if you do.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can get it out without removing the Y pipe but it's a LOT easier if you do.
Guess I'll be removing the y pipe!

I have it backed into the garage now. I will start doing the beginning of the disassembly tonight or tomorrow night.

My goal is to drive it up on ramps and jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands. Hopefully that gives me enough clearance.

To start I'll take my time and drop the pan and drain the fluid, then I'll remove the lines and remove the shifter linkage. I'll try to work my way through it. I won't order any part until I get in there and see what's leaking.

I am having doubts that it is the torque converter because the trans drives and shift pretty well. It's only when it gets to temp and runs for a while that it starts puking fluid. I am thinking it is the front seal.

Wish me luck! Any tips are welcomed!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Really helps to remove the t-case - be aware that the tailhousing of the trans is open and full of fluid so you'll want to stuff some clean rags in there once the t-case is gone.

I think there's an access panel on the block plate that will allow you to remove the torque converter nuts - if not you can do it through the starter hole. Don't try pulling the trans with the torque converter still bolted to the flex plate... it'll make things a lot harder.

An assortment of rubber or plastic "caplugs" are real handy to cap off cooler lines and whatnot.

Pretty straightforward... if you've ever removed a transmission before, you'll have it out in no time.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I always liked leaving the transfer case attached when pulling them. In my younger and more physically fit days, I could pull a 5spd and transfer case in one piece and reverse benchpress/drop it on to myself, then slide it over to the side as I got out from underneath of it. I wouldn't recommend it though.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Really helps to remove the t-case - be aware that the tailhousing of the trans is open and full of fluid so you'll want to stuff some clean rags in there once the t-case is gone.

I think there's an access panel on the block plate that will allow you to remove the torque converter nuts - if not you can do it through the starter hole. Don't try pulling the trans with the torque converter still bolted to the flex plate... it'll make things a lot harder.

An assortment of rubber or plastic "caplugs" are real handy to cap off cooler lines and whatnot.

Pretty straightforward... if you've ever removed a transmission before, you'll have it out in no time.
I have never removed a trans before, but I believe I can do it. I'll just take my time.

I'll remove the T case as you suggest. I was thinking freezer bags with zip ties around all the lines. I also have gallons ones that might fit around the trans tail housing....

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I always liked leaving the transfer case attached when pulling them. In my younger and more physically fit days, I could pull a 5spd and transfer case in one piece and reverse benchpress/drop it on to myself, then slide it over to the side as I got out from underneath of it. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Sounds painful.... lol I'll have a transmission jack so that should help.

I think I'll remove it and replace the seal between the trans and transfer case too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, you can do bags, but bags fill up or get ripped... the rags are more of a buffer zone to soak up fluid. You could do both. I've just taken too many ATF and gear lube showers!

I do like Bird said and wrestle them up by hand... but usually only manuals... automatics are quite a bit heavier. Removing the t-case isn't totally necessary but sometimes it helps to rotate the whole assembly and it gets in the way. And like you said it's a great time to replace that seal.

If you had access to a vehicle lift and a trans jack then it's a non issue, leave em together.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I picked up one of these Craftsman ATV/motorcycle lift/jacks off of Craigslist a looooong time ago for $20 and it was still in the box. It's lifted and lowered many transmissions in and out.. I small piece of plywood on top and it does pretty well. The handle comes off by removing one pin.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started on the removing the trans last night. I spent about 30 mins removing the t case skid plate. Geez those nuts welded on to that tab of metal would just spin. But I got it.

I also dropped the pan and drained the trans fluid in it then put the pan back on.

Decided that was enough for one night.

I'll do a little more tonight.

I plan on buying the cheaper trans jack from harbor freight. I'm sure it will get the job done.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Still working on it a night at a time.

Tonight I got the rear drive shaft off. I also loosened the front drive shaft u join from the D28.

Which brings me to my question:

How do you get the front drive shaft loose from the transfer case? It should just slide out correct?

Will the boot just slide forward with it? It's on there pretty tight and I didn't want to tear it by trying to zank it off. Do I need to pry it loose from the transfer case?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It just slides out. The boot can be stubborn... I often have to tap on it with a hammer and block of wood to get it off the t-case.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It just slides out. The boot can be stubborn... I often have to tap on it with a hammer and block of wood to get it off the t-case.
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it out. I gently pried it away from t case and then it came out easily.

Work has been getting in the way of this.

I've got the starter off and the bell housing cover moved so I can see torque converter bolts.

I'll remove them then onto the shifter and connections to trans.

Then it will be bell housing bolts and hopefully removal.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update for tonight. I got the torque converter nuts off.

Now I'm onto removing the shifter.

My understanding is the Tcase shift will slide out attached to the case? I removed the knob from in the cab. It looks like it would just slide out?

Any tips for removing the floor shifter linkage? I see where its brackets bolts to the frame and then to the transmission. Can i pry the linakges loose from each other? Looks the the plastic bushing in each lonkage will let you pry them out? I didn't want to go too far tonight and damage something.

Getting closer....

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone have any tips for removing the shifter and linkage for the A4LD trans in my BII??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals