• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 BII A4LD Trans Leak

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You shouldn't have a pilot bushing. Your torque converter slides on to the input shaft of your transmission, and bolts directly to your flex plate (flex plate is like the flywheel in a manual trans vehicle)
Yes, I understand all of that. I know a manual trans has a pilot bearing, but if you do some research on the A4LD especially with the Explorers, you see where they mention a pilot bushing in the back of the crank not being replaced and messing with the trans pump, so the seal begins to leak again.

Here is a thread for reference:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/a4ld-front-seal-info.55566/

While you are servising the transmission be sure to remove the flexplate and inspect the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft. They are often found to be broken. If the unit is re-installed with this bushing damaged it will cause front pump damage. It's cheap, replace it!

I understand the bushing in the bell housing, but I am not touching that since this trans only has 60,000 miles on it. My question is specific to the bushing in the back of the crank, if there is one.

Rock Auto showed one, so I ordered it, if it doesn't work, I'll simply return it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't had a chance to pull the flex plate yet. I'll try to get under there and do that in the next couple of days and snap a few pictures.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't know why they're calling it a pilot bushing. I guess technically it is but the term I've always used is flex plate spacer. Totally different from a manual transmission pilot bushing. Sonnax makes a nice spacer... It's a big piece that goes between the crank and flex plate.

If I break off the exhaust bolts they have to be drilled out and threads retapped. But you're past that point now.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know why they're calling it a pilot bushing. I guess technically it is but the term I've always used is flex plate spacer. Totally different from a manual transmission pilot bushing. Sonnax makes a nice spacer... It's a big piece that goes between the crank and flex plate.

If I break off the exhaust bolts they have to be drilled out and threads retapped. But you're past that point now.
That makes more sense! I did not order that lol, guess I'll return what I ordered to Rock Auto.

This page seems to be pretty informative.

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/204-a4ld-4r44e-ford-4-0l-crank-spacer-puzzle

I doubt mine is cracked, but I'll look it over.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I just checked the pilot on my stand-by a4ld and it measured .466. I wonder why this is longer than the up dated one in the sonnax article. Anyway, this is all good information.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I replace them whether they're cracked or not unless it's in a vehicle that I simply don't care about. The factory spacer is made out of pot metal and IMO is just junk - the Sonnax one is under $20 and is machined billet steel...cheap insurance. Considering how difficult it is to remove the trans in these, I'd not hesitate to replace it if you're planning on keeping the truck.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I replace them whether they're cracked or not unless it's in a vehicle that I simply don't care about. The factory spacer is made out of pot metal and IMO is just junk - the Sonnax one is under $20 and is machined billet steel...cheap insurance. Considering how difficult it is to remove the trans in these, I'd not hesitate to replace it if you're planning on keeping the truck.
Your logic makes sense. This rig is staying with me for a while.

I'll try and remove my flex plate tonight. If nothing else I'll confirm the bolt count and order it when I get home.

Thanks for the advice as usual!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No prob! It'll be the 6 bolt version... 8 bolt flywheels/flex plates didn't exist until sometime in the mid-late 90's.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No prob! It'll be the 6 bolt version... 8 bolt flywheels/flex plates didn't exist until sometime in the mid-late 90's.
My research showed the same on the 6 bolts (which I had assumed it was anyways).

I ordered it online just now -- I'm sure it will be $30 well spent!

Attachments

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
From where did you get the rear crank seal? I was looking at Rock Auto and I saw what looked like several different ones. I wasn't sure which one to get.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From where did you get the rear crank seal? I was looking at Rock Auto and I saw what looked like several different ones. I wasn't sure which one to get.
I ordered it from Rock Auto. See the screen shot below:

Attachments

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Thanks for the info.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
What's going on with your project today?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What's going on with your project today?

I pulled the old seal out and drove the new one in. Old seal lip was hardened I'm sure that's why it has leaked.

I'm in the process of putting it all back together now. I have the trans up in the vehicle, but it is not lined up completely yet. I got the torque converter bolts lined up, but can't get it slide on the alignment dowels of the engine block.

Got a little frustrated wrestling it, so I walked away from it today. I'll circle back in a day or so.

It won't beat me down for long!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just some random thoughts for tonight. I was going to try and reassemble with out the new billet spacer replacing the rear main seal, but I believe I'm half assing this now.

Time for a reset. Im going to seperate the trans and t case because it is a bear to manage together. It wants to roll because of the weight.

I'm going to drop it back down and do this right and not be impatient.

I just got ahead of myself this weekend.

I hope to have it on the road after the week of labor day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals