• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Bronco II CB Antenna location

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am having my 86 Bronco II redone at the paint and body shop.. I have had my antenna on my side mirror for a while, but I want to relocate it to the rear bumper, there is already a ball there, just needs an antenna. How long of a fire stick do I need to get to mount on the rear bump so I can get a signal out. I was thinking maybe 6'??? The reason I am going with a firestick is that it is rigid and wont hit the paint. I have a LONG WHIP but it always scratched the paint. I know it isn't the ideal location, but It is already there and I don't want to drill holes. So that's why I am asking about how tall I need to go.

Thanks!

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The bumper really is far from an ideal antenna location no matter how tall the antenna is. A 102" whip is about the only thing that will work even remotely acceptably there (and still pretty poorly at that).

If you just have a paint scratching issue, the very old trick of stabbing a tennis ball over the antenna works well to keep the antenna from marring the side of the paint.

Otherwise I'd look into getting a magnet-mount up on the center of the roof, or maybe a hood-lip or fender-lip mount with a 5' or so tall antenna.

Also, I changed your thread title, it was confusing (you had it as "CD Antenna").

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for changing the title. I had the tennis ball on my whip. I don't need to get out THAT far, just a couple of miles.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Whatever antenna you use needs to have at least 60% of it's length above the vehicle body if you want a good SWR match for your radio (so that's why a 102" whip if it's on the bumper).
If range isn't a top priority, then I'd still say go with the fender-lip mount, but maybe you could get away with a 3½ foot or 4 foot tall antenna. Range should be 2-3 miles in most conditions (for comparison, a 5' whip up on the roof should range about 5-10 miles).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals