• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ford Ranger 2.0l Manual Trans RWD

olddadof7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.0
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys, I bought a Ranger years ago to build with my youngest son. Him and my friend's son rode around a pasture and agreed on 250.00 dollars in 2014. I finally returned home from working in Mexico and we have pulled it out of the our pasture and begun work on it. we have replaced the list of parts below.

Master cylinder
both front calibers, both flex lines, brakes, and shocks.
all tie in rods
repaired rear brakes and replaced shocks
replaced brake light sockets and cleaned polished lenses
replaced fuel pump
replaced carburetor

I really need help. The shifter has fallen apart and I cannot find parts. I also need to fix fuel gauge. Does anyone know where I can find parts. My son is going to be a tech scholar soon at local plant and he is very proud of this little truck and I really want us to be able to get it going and it be safe and usable for him. I have included some pictures and the VIN to help. I will also need to source a grill, and a steering wheel. I would also like to replace the bench with something that has head support. Thanks for reading and any help you guys can give.
1986 Ford Ranger 2.0 liter carb motor 5 speed manual trans
VIN : 1FTBR10C6GUB74950

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those shifters are hard to come by anymore, they have been obsolete for a long time. Hurst makes one, but it is pricey.

My personal recommendation for that would be to find an M5OD off an early 4-cyl and throw that in there. It's a little bit of mod work, but a much better trans and much better parts availability.

Grill can be had from LMC. Gas guage, you need to figure if it is the sender or the cluster. Turn the key on and ground the yellow wire at the tank.

olddadof7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.0
Transmission
Manual
thanks, I was hoping this to be something I could afford to fix with him. guess it will take a few more months. but we did get the motor running good

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Pricey...but may wanna jump on it.

As for the other parts, try www.car-part.com. LMC can get pricey.

As for seats id look for later 1st gen 60/40 bench. Should bolt in and does give some head support. Youll pry have to add an extra seat track.

olddadof7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.0
Transmission
Manual
Great news, I found a shop in CT that has some new old stock parts. CAMEROTA truck parts. I hope this helps someone. Ken at the shop had my part to me in 3 days.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Good luck with it! I had the same problem with the shifter in my 86, back in the 90's. Ended up being some plastic snap-ring at the base of the shifter if I remember correct. Had been getting very loose for a few months and then all of the sudden it broke and wouldn't go into any gear at all. Of course we're taking my feeble brain cells back a good 25 years so details are kinda sketchy at this point. The mechanic I was taking it to had trouble finding the part then, and the truck was less than 10 years old! The TK5 was really not a very sturdy design, nevermind the abuse that mine withstood. These trucks became much better when Ford replaced the TK5 with the M5OD on the assembly line in 1988. Not the M5- unit did not have its shortcomings, but it was overall a much more stout design than the TK unit. Occasionally a used TK unit will show up forsale in Craigslist or eBay or something. If you can, grab it. Or, upgrade to the M5OD as someone mentioned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals