• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

4RingCircus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, it comes to this... My truck won't start. Yes, I'm a rookie, but I read a lot. And this truck has me stumped. Time for help from the forum:

Truck Summary: 1987 2.3 Lima engine. Yes, its old... but runs great. About 187K miles. Truck was running fine. I parked at the office, worked all day. When my day was done, I went out to the truck, and she fired right up as always. I drove 1 block to the first stop light. And while idling at the light, suddenly the truck died. And not a sputter then die~ this was instant death: as if I had turned the key and shut it off. Every time I've tried to start it since, it cranks over and over and over.... but never even gives a hint of starting. On to what I've tested.
  • Spark
    • pulled the first plug and hooked up a tester. Nice bright spark flashing exactly like I would expect it to.
  • Fuel
    • my fuel pump cutoff relay stopped working a long time ago. I've removed the relay and hooked up a kill switch, which has worked flawlessly for years.
    • 1987 had 2 pumps. The high pressure mounted on the rail turns on as usual when I turn the key. I can't hear anything from the low pressure inside the tank.... so I guess it could be the low pressure pump...Except... see the next bullet.
    • I sprayed starting fluid directly into the intake manifold. Once again, the engine cranks over and over and over.... not even a hint of starting.
    • I pulled the plug off injector 1 and hooked up an engine light. It flashes exactly like it should, so at least the electrical controlling the injectors is working.
    • I pushed the fuel rail shrader valve and gas squirted out.... but no I didn't hook up a gauge and test the actual pressure.
  • Mechanical
    • The timing belt looks brand new. No surprise, it was replaced less than 5000 miles ago.
    • Hooked up a compression tester, the good kind that threads into the plug hole. I've never used one before, and from what I've read, the engine is supposed to be up to operating temp, and obviously my truck is cold. I'm curious how much that would change the results. All cylinders are low, and cylinder 3 is strangely at 90 while the others are at 60.
      • cylinder 1: 60lbs
      • cylinder 2: 60lbs
      • cylinder 3: 90lbs
      • cylinder 4: 60lbs
    • But... come on. How could a major mechanical failure happen while idling at a stop light???
So... lets hear from the experts. Thanks guys!~ Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good testing (y)

Your Timing belt has slipped, and yes it can just happen, often they just break, and same symptom, it just dies while driving it
Worse case is that the crank gear sheared off the woodruf key, but same work required to get at the timing belt

Your compression should be above 150psi in all cylinders in a 2.3l Lima engine

And you don't have to do compression test warm, I prefer cold test results

You need compression above 120psi to get gasoline to vaporize enough for a spark plug to ignite it, and thats on a warm day, lol
Surprised the Ether(starting fluid) didn't ignite but it also needs a bit of heat/compression to be ignited by a spark

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What ron said

4RingCircus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS :)

Good testing (y)

Your Timing belt has slipped, and yes it can just happen, often they just break, and same symptom, it just dies while driving it
Worse case is that the crank gear sheared off the woodruf key, but same work required to get at the timing belt

Your compression should be above 150psi in all cylinders in a 2.3l Lima engine

And you don't have to do compression test warm, I prefer cold test results

You need compression above 120psi to get gasoline to vaporize enough for a spark plug to ignite it, and thats on a warm day, lol
Surprised the Ether(starting fluid) didn't ignite but it also needs a bit of heat/compression to be ignited by a spark
Thank you Ron! Oh man, if that is the issue I'd be so happy. I'll begin exploring that rabbit hole.

4RingCircus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Ron D and Rusty Ol Ranger, you were correct... however... :confused:.... It ran great for a total of 2 minutes and jumped again. What could be causing this? I will say, I heard a loud tick or knock, sounded kinda lick a valve? Also, once I got everything pulled apart and the crank at top dead center, the cam pulley was off several notches; not just one. Probably closer to 5 or 10. Thoughts?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Either the belt is worn or the tensioner needs to be replaced...

4RingCircus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Forgot to mention, I replaced the tensioner pulley over the weekend... but not the spring. I'll try that next.

4RingCircus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, last night, I took the timing cover off again. To my surprise, the cam and crank were properly aligned on their respective timing marks. Put it back together and it started! Lol, I'm not sure why it died the night before, but I wish I had tried a little harder to get it started.

Either way, the Ron D and Rusty Ol Ranger correctly diagnosed the original problem: Timing belt jumped a few notches. Problem solved. Thanks guys!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals