• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 STX supercab build

kparry1997

Reaction score
I was planning on running a loom across the front for the battery and ignition connects, but I'll have to check out that loom holder! Is that a 5.0 swap?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

kparry1997

Reaction score
I was browsing my local classifieds and I found a 4.0, automatic transmission, and transfercase out of a ranger for $400. I'm thinking it's a pretty solid deal. I could sell the transmission, and keep the transfercase and engine. What do you guys think?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was planning on running a loom across the front for the battery and ignition connects, but I'll have to check out that loom holder! Is that a 5.0 swap?
I had thought about going across the front, seems like it would be a lot more wire and it is already kind of occupied with the fairly good sized loom already for the headlights and charging system for all the stuff I have added to coexist looking halfway clean.

Yeah, it is a 5.0.

kparry1997

Reaction score
I thought the wiring situation in the engine bay would be an accurate representation of the wiring throughout the truck, and man was I wrong. I spent a good 5 or 6 hours today going through the wiring, mainly under the dash. There were remnants of an old security system, cb radio, poor stereo installation, and the auxiliary light situation was scary. But I got it all sorted out and decluttered! Tomorrow I'll go in and wire things up a bit nicer.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Aint wiring fun?!!

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It’ll be nice having all that wiring cleaned up in the future.

kparry1997

Reaction score
The wiring was kind of a pain. I turned on a podcast, grabbed a drink and dove in! It's definitely a good feeling having it all sorted out! We had a nice snowstorm in northern Utah this weekend, so I didn't get to wire up the fan or auxiliary lights yesterday, but it'll get done this week!

The transmission got here today, and I was a bit upset. In the description from the seller, it stated the item was the one that was pictured. And the one I recieved was a lot dirtier, and didn't have the shifter that was pictured. Part of the bellhousing had also busted through the packaging, and a small piece of the casting had broken off. I messaged the seller, and we'll see how this gets resolved. Anyway, the progress is slow, but steady! More updates to come!

kparry1997

Reaction score
I haven't posted in awhile since I haven't done much work the past few months. Other things took my focus of the project, but I'm finally getting back to it.

Last weekend I got the new 4.0 clutch and flywheel installed, and got the transmission in place. I went to install the new master cylinder for the clutch and realized I ordered the wrong one. So I have a 1994 hydraulic system in a 1987, which would be great if the master cylinder fit. I'm going to order a new master cylinder for my generation, and try switching the hydraulic line from the newer master so that I can still run the new slave cylinder, as they changed hydraulic connectors in 92 or 93.

While I'm sorting out the hydraulics, I'm going to figure out the crossmember situation. It looks like I should be able to just move the mounting brackets back a few inches and call it good, but if that's not a possibility I guess I'll have to modify the crossmember itself.

After that, I'll get a custom 1 piece driveshaft for the rear, and she should be road worthy!

kparry1997

Reaction score
I forgot my account info, but an update will be coming soon! The truck is registered, running and driving, and has been for awhile!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
You obviously got all of that wiring straightened out.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That wiring made me cringe so bad. I'd love to see some pics of what she's like now. Comon, lemme see what's under her hood. Just a peak?:p

kparry1997

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of how everything turned out! Definitely not perfect, but much safer and much more organized than it was before! Let me know if the link doesn't work!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good work on the wiring. One of my '88s has shit shoved into the fuse panel like that. Drives me nuts.

kparry1997

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask if there's a modification I need to do to the speedometer cable. After the swap, the cable is just barely too short to bolt into the transfer case :cry:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Can you route it a different way? May just need a longer cable from either a newer truck or an A4LD. They are pretty easy to swap out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals