• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 STX supercab build

kparry1997

Reaction score
I thought about rerouting it through the transmission tunnel instead of the firewall, but if I can just grab a longer one and keep the stock routing, I think that's the better option! I'll hit the junkyard when the weather clears up!

kparry1997

Reaction score
I got out to the scrap yard yesterday and pulled a speedo cable from an explorer with the auto and got it installed today. The speedometer works again! I used some silicone lubricant on the cable, but I was thinking grease might be a bit more appropriate. Any thoughts there? I was also curious if I could pull the transfercase shift linkage from that same explorer and use that to bridge the gap that exists now.

I also finished up the electric fan install recently, pulled the mechanical fan, and installed a 180° thermostat. The thermostatic switch for the electric fan kicks on at 200 and off at 185. While driving in 60-70° weather, the fan doesn't even kick on. It only kicks on while sitting for awhile, and brings it down to Temp just fine. I'm curious what you guys think about the 200° switch though. Seems like it might be a bit hot. Thanks guys!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Grease can sometimes make the cables a little jumpy. I had coated my brand new (inner) cable in grease, but later decided to spray it full of WD40 to thin it out a little. The speedo needle jumps the tiniest bit.. I wondered if I should have tried dry moly lube.

kparry1997

Reaction score
Good to know! I didn't think about grease being too thick. I considered moly too but ended up grabbing some Teflon enhanced silicone lube and sprayed that down the entire cable. So far the needle is smooth, but we'll see how it holds up!

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Sorry I'm late to the party, I must've missed my invitation in the mail.
Sounds like you're making good progress so far. Looks like the rust on this truck wasn't all that bad, compared to what I'm used to seeing here in PA. Around here, if you can get a vehicle to last more than 10-15 years with out the body leaving pieces of itself along the road as you drive you should consider yourself lucky. They don't call this the Rust Belt for nuthin'.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals