• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 bronco ii transmission nightmare

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I have a 1988 bronco ii with the a4ld automatic transmission. Went bad took it apart forward gear is torn up along with planetary gear. Rebuild kit with bushings bc mine are tore up plus used forward gear on eBay bringing me over 500$ to rebuild.. searched junkyard and can find plenty 2wd newer a4ld seems newer one has different electronic connections.. my question is can I make a 2wd a4ld with different electronic connections work? Looks like I can take off adapter for 2wd and swap in spacer between trans and tranfer case. And if not are internal parts the same (forward gear) to swap? Please help, thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The shaft is shorter on 4WD so no not a simple swap to different tail shaft housing, but internally everything else is the same

A4LD had a single solenoid(TCC) in its early version and then got 2 solenoids(TCC and 3/4 shift) in later years

Early version will have 2 wire connector, later version 3 wire connector, you need to use the version your Computer(PCM) has the software for

If the connectors are just different then change the connector, but the 2 wire or 3 wire must match computer

I think you could swap valve bodys for the 2-3 wire conversion but really not sure about that

Last edited:

Chuckc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
The shaft is shorter on 4WD so no not a simple swap to different tail shaft housing, but internally everything else is the same

A4LD had a single solenoid(TCC) in its early version and then got 2 solenoids(TCC and 3/4 shift) in later years

Early version will have 2 wire connector, later version 3 wire connector, you need to use the version your Computer(PCM) has the software for

If the connectors are just different then change the connector, but the 2 wire or 3 wire must match computer
Thanks looks like my best option is just to swap use parts out of the 2wd into mine and rebuild.. really would like to do a 5 speed swap but only found a manual 2wd transmission 1l54.. seems older 4x4 stuff is hard to come by..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a 2.9l engine so you can use a 4.0l trans, M5OD-R1, from a 4x4, your BW1350 transfer case will bolt to it

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) transmissions have a bell housing thats integrated into main case so they are all engine specific
i.e. a 3.0l M5R1 won't bolt to a 4.0l or 2.9l engine, same model number but different bell housings

The 2.9l engine and 4.0l engine used the same block bolt pattern so are interchangeable
The 4.0l OHV(1990-2000) or 4.0l SOHC(2001-2011) M5R1 4x4 are useable for your swap

Read here for that type of swap: https://therangerstation.com/Magazine/January2011/FM146_to_M5OD.shtml

You will need to swap/add clutch pedal assembly

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals