• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger - New to me, What is this?

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, :bye:

I am new to the forum here and I just recently acquired a 1988 Ford Ranger.

I've been trying to learn everything I can about this truck and get it running right! I started with the fuel system.

So far what I THINK :icon_confused: I know is that it is a Carb'd 2.0 with a motorcraft carb?

I have a 83-90 Ranger Chilton and it lists only the 2.0 as coming with a carburetor in 1988.

This where things get weird right off the bat.

IF its a 2.0 carb, from what I have learned it should have a mechanical fuel pump. I have checked the engine and it has the embossment for the fuel pump on the block but it is not cut out.

I dropped the fuel tank and there is no in-tank pump, there is 1 tube connection, with 2 wires for the sender. This also points to this being a mechanical fuel pump truck.

What gives? I guess the first questions I have... is this really a 2.0? Did they make carb'd engines that didnt have mechanical fuel pump??? Was this carb thrown on an EFI engine?

Thanks guys for having me and any help you can give me. I will be posting lots of pictures, to help identify what is going on here.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is weird. I'd follow the fuel line from the carb back and see what you find as far as a fuel pump goes. There has to be something.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is weird. I'd follow the fuel line from the carb back and see what you find as far as a fuel pump goes. There has to be something.

I did that. I dropped the tank and followed the lines, there is a Carter fuel pump on the rail.

The truck starts and runs OK.. but I am sure this setup is not right, and probably not reliable...

Next thing I will be trying to do is get this carb tuned in and figure out what this mess of vaccuum lines needs to run right. It looks like the EGR system has been deleted and the fuel pump is wired up wrong as well.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here are some more pictures of carb, some wiring, vaccuum lines.

Any help at all is appreciated, Im not quite sure where to start to get this thing running how it should with all the EGR deleted and screwed up vaccuum lines.

Attachments

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I see what you mean. That certainly does look like an EFI block. Makes me wonder if it isn't actually a 2.3L, since 88 was the last year for the 2.0 in a Ranger.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I see what you mean. That certainly does look like an EFI block. Makes me wonder if it isn't actually a 2.3L, since 88 was the last year for the 2.0 in a Ranger.
Thats exactly where my thinking is too....

Is there anyway to check that with a block number??

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also looks like its got some aftermarket headers on it as well... Lol??
Some of the Lima engines had a long-tube header like that from the factory.

Thats exactly where my thinking is too....

Is there anyway to check that with a block number??
Probably, but I don't know where the numbers are cast on the 4-cylinder engine blocks.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Interesting..... Are you familiar with the vaccuum line routing on this carb?

If I snap a picture of a couple vac ports could you help me locate them properly?

This chilton has about the worst vac diagrams I have ever seen. You can't even read them with a magnifying glass.

I really appreciate your replies ty

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Interesting..... Are you familiar with the vaccuum line routing on this carb?
The extent of my knowledge of carbs is that the proper response to finding one under your hood is to retrofit EFI.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The extent of my knowledge of carbs is that the proper response to finding one under your hood is to retrofit EFI.
:D yeah I tend to agree, unless of course its a Rod of some sorts.

I think I will leave the carb how it is since it seems to run and start decent enough.

I have one more question im hoping you or someone can answer..

with the carb I guess I dont need a return line to the tank, so I am trying to figure out if I should try to put an in tank pump and sending unit in the tank.
I am guessing with the electric it should be pushing from the tank instead of trying to prime half the fuel line on the rail.

right now the sending unit is totally tore out, it consist of a hose running from the 1 tube fuel sending plate to the bottom of the tank, and a baren 2 pin attachment. I want the fuel gauge to work so I can run the new wires pin connector. I can run the new wires for a 4 pin but I am trying to figure out what sending unit to get.

so i need to figure ohm range, but also fitment of unit in the gas tank

I have done some searching and im getting conflicting info because of this 2.0/2.3 carb dilemma.:annoyed:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Nothing wrong with a separate external electric pump like that for a carb. From what I can tell it's an Aisan A-2 progressive 2bbl carb. Not familiar with that particular carb, but it should be fine for that use.

I count 10 different vacuum ports plus a bowl vent line on this one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-88-Ford-Ranger-2-0L-4cyl-Aisan-A-2-2bbl-Carburetor-P-N-43-401/223262580879?hash=item33fb7ca08f:g:YBkAAOSwCTpcABih:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!18062!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

You'll need a good vacuum diagram! Probably some of those lines will not be needed.

You might be better off with a simpler Holley 5200 or Weber 32/36 DFEV. Don't knock carbs if you've never driven one that was set up properly.

If it's a detonating mess you might want the EGR system.

88FordRanger2.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nothing wrong with a separate external electric pump like that for a carb. From what I can tell it's an Aisan A-2 progressive 2bbl carb. Not familiar with that particular carb, but it should be fine for that use.

I count 10 different vacuum ports plus a bowl vent line on this one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-88-Ford-Ranger-2-0L-4cyl-Aisan-A-2-2bbl-Carburetor-P-N-43-401/223262580879?hash=item33fb7ca08f:g:YBkAAOSwCTpcABih:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!18062!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

You'll need a good vacuum diagram! Probably some of those lines will not be needed.

You might be better off with a simpler Holley 5200 or Weber 32/36 DFEV. Don't knock carbs if you've never driven one that was set up properly.

If it's a detonating mess you might want the EGR system.

Thanks for the info!

I have been messing with it for a bit today and I think I got it running pretty good.

As far as knocking carbs,:stop: I love em! (I do prefer EFI on most of my daily drivers)but.. I have a 48 Dodge pickup, 69 datsun 521, a carb'd Jeep YJ, and about 30 hit and miss engines, tractors... John deere H, LA, Ford 2N, and lots more LOL... I have a PROBLEM... :yahoo: so I am ok around a carb, worked on about 500 different kinds, but this one is quite ridiculous to say the least, and I am finding more & more that this was an engine swap or efi to carb swap so that is really making it muddy.

I got the gauges/sending units re-wired and working now in the cab and I am trying to work out the fuel pump relay wiring and for that matter a decent vaccuum diagram. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT buying the chilton for the ranger if anyone is working on emissions/vaccuum/electrical. These diagrams are terrible!!!! :no2:

I could really use a picture of what the wiring looks like going to the fuel pump relay. This one is wired straight to the coil so if you just bump the starter the fuel pump stays running with the key on. The Chilton doesn't show the fuel pump relay wiring at all....:icon_confused:

Im guessing the computer (idle control??) is supposed cycle the fuel pump relay normally?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals