• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Domelight stays on

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 Ranger and there was no bulb in the dome light so I replaced it and it still wasn't working. I checked the fuses and it didn't have a fuse so I put one in and then the light came on but I couldn't get it to turn off with the switch. How can I fix it? In order to turn the dome light I had to take the fuse back out. Any help? Thank you

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Try unplugging the two door switches, one at a time.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Try unplugging the two door switches, one at a time.
Will do, thank you for the response. I'll get back to you once I get home and try it.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^^^ Yes, that, but be careful. On an '88 you should have "positive switching" door pin switches, which means they have a constant +12 volt wire. If a wire terminal touches the body metal when you remove the switch it'll short and (hopefully) pop the dome fuse.

An XLT probably has dome light switches in doth door jambs. The driver side sees more use. Pull the fuse, remove the pin switch and disconnect the wires (don't let them touch ground). Reinstall the fuse, see if the dome light works correctly with headlight switch and the passenger door.

At that point you should be on the right track. Good luck!

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ Yes, that, but be careful. On an '88 you should have "positive switching" door pin switches, which means they have a constant +12 volt wire. If a wire terminal touches the body metal when you remove the switch it'll short and (hopefully) pop the dome fuse.

An XLT probably has dome light switches in doth door jambs. The driver side sees more use. Pull the fuse, remove the pin switch and disconnect the wires (don't let them touch ground). Reinstall the fuse, see if the dome light works correctly with headlight switch and the passenger door.

Yep, I have an XLT. Thank you for all of the advice I really appreciate it and will be getting back to you later with results.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Actually, I believe if the wire touches ground, it just turns on the light. That's how those switches used to work. They completed the ground path for the light circuit. So, tape up the wire so it doesn't touch ground.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I believe if the wire touches ground, it just turns on the light. That's how those switches used to work. They completed the ground path for the light circuit. So, tape up the wire so it doesn't touch ground.
According to this diagram, this one is not wired up like that. They have a lightgreen/yellow 12v wire feeding each switch, and the switch then sends the 12v up to the domelight on a black/lightblue wire. The driver's door switch will have an extra wire, a red/pink. Not sure what that is for, I would assume it's tied into the headlight reminder buzzer or something like that.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You're right, that "most" dome light systems are "negative switching"; or in other words, grounding the pin switch wire grounds the dome light which makes it light.

But older Fords do use the positive switching. Here's the '88 EVTM page:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The driver's door switch will have an extra wire, a red/pink. Not sure what that is for, I would assume it's tied into the headlight reminder buzzer or something like that.
Yes, that's exactly what red/pink wire does.

It's really odd that I can remember wire colors from installing accessories 30 years ago, but these days having to double check when I get to work to make sure that I remembered to put my pants on before I left the house.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you all I appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals