• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Restoration - Keeping a Promise

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've not checked back in on this in a bit but the notification today, I thought "oooo lemme go see." I'm not sure if I didn't read in before or what but the Merkur mods... sigh.. You've opened a can of worms for me, because now I find myself scouring the web to see what I can acquire to do some dual TB setup or swapping an entire merkur 2.9 into my 88 2wd supercab. Thanks. Thanks a lot :p

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
You surely know by now that you can't use an aluminum tank for methanol... You're also gonna want the largest tank you can fit in the truck, unless you really enjoy refilling a very hazardous fluid that burns invisibly..
Methanol = washer fluid.

Wait. Can you use aluminum for washer
I've not checked back in on this in a bit but the notification today, I thought "oooo lemme go see." I'm not sure if I didn't read in before or what but the Merkur mods... sigh.. You've opened a can of worms for me, because now I find myself scouring the web to see what I can acquire to do some dual TB setup or swapping an entire merkur 2.9 into my 88 2wd supercab. Thanks. Thanks a lot :p
I know where there are at least two running engines and 3 non running complete cars in the area. All for sale. Pm me if you want parts.

The Merkur engine has a different cam in it as well. Less low end power, but ground for high end power.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been trying to hunt down a bit of comparison info / writeups / howtos in between things at work since reading that bit today, but I would think a merkur motor, mounting-wise, would just drop in wouldn't it? Still being a Cologne and all, minus of course intake and some configuration..

Basically trying to begin researching before I begin buying things and jumping in. Don't mean to hijack your thread so is there another spot for me to search/discuss such?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Methanol = washer fluid.

Wait. Can you use aluminum for washer
I suppose it all depends on what percentages of methanol to water you're using... I imagine what you'll be using will be so diluted, it probably won't matter.

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=39643

"Materials to avoid:

METALS

(e.g. powdered aluminum or magnesium) - mixtures can detonate, with more power than military explosives."

https://www.hyperracing.com/pages/tech_department/600cc_engine_tech/fuel_injection_maintenance.aspx

"Methanol alcohol will destroy anodized aluminum fittings and will deteriorate the fuel bladder in the fuel tank. Did you ever see an aluminum fitting that has corroded from the inside out? This is from methanol when combined with oxygen when left sitting on aluminum."

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/pdfs/methfr.pdf

"Since the chemical properties of methanol are different from than those of petroleum fuels, some materials commonly used to store and transport gasoline and or diesel may not be suitable for use with methanol. Several materials compatibility problems, in both the on-board fuel system and the fueling infrastructure, arose in the late '80s and early '90s when vehicles designed to operate on M85 (a fuel consisting of 85% methanol and 15% unleaded gasoline) were first introduced. A common problem was clogging of vehicle fuel filters with the residue from the reaction between methanol and some of the fuel-wetted parts. These problems were attributed to dissolution of aluminum and leaching of plasticizers and fillers (mostly zinc oxide) from dispenser hoses. These problems were resolved by nickel-plating aluminum components or replacing them with parts made of iron and steel alloys and by changing hose liner materials to eliminate the leaching of plasticizers and fillers."

"Acceptable tank materials for containing methanol include carbon steel, fiberglass, and stainless steel. Due to cost, stainless steel tanks are rare. Carbon steel tanks used underground must be protected against corrosion, usually by a fiberglass coating."

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've been trying to hunt down a bit of comparison info / writeups / howtos in between things at work since reading that bit today, but I would think a merkur motor, mounting-wise, would just drop in wouldn't it? Still being a Cologne and all, minus of course intake and some configuration..

Basically trying to begin researching before I begin buying things and jumping in. Don't mean to hijack your thread so is there another spot for me to search/discuss such?
Yup. I have a post in the 2.9 forum with side by side photos.

_20190420_191726.JPG

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I suppose it all depends on what percentages of methanol to water you're using... I imagine what you'll be using will be so diluted, it probably won't matter.

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=39643

"Materials to avoid:

METALS

(e.g. powdered aluminum or magnesium) - mixtures can detonate, with more power than military explosives."

https://www.hyperracing.com/pages/tech_department/600cc_engine_tech/fuel_injection_maintenance.aspx

"Methanol alcohol will destroy anodized aluminum fittings and will deteriorate the fuel bladder in the fuel tank. Did you ever see an aluminum fitting that has corroded from the inside out? This is from methanol when combined with oxygen when left sitting on aluminum."

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/pdfs/methfr.pdf

"Since the chemical properties of methanol are different from than those of petroleum fuels, some materials commonly used to store and transport gasoline and or diesel may not be suitable for use with methanol. Several materials compatibility problems, in both the on-board fuel system and the fueling infrastructure, arose in the late '80s and early '90s when vehicles designed to operate on M85 (a fuel consisting of 85% methanol and 15% unleaded gasoline) were first introduced. A common problem was clogging of vehicle fuel filters with the residue from the reaction between methanol and some of the fuel-wetted parts. These problems were attributed to dissolution of aluminum and leaching of plasticizers and fillers (mostly zinc oxide) from dispenser hoses. These problems were resolved by nickel-plating aluminum components or replacing them with parts made of iron and steel alloys and by changing hose liner materials to eliminate the leaching of plasticizers and fillers."

"Acceptable tank materials for containing methanol include carbon steel, fiberglass, and stainless steel. Due to cost, stainless steel tanks are rare. Carbon steel tanks used underground must be protected against corrosion, usually by a fiberglass coating."
Sounds like I should be ok. Running 70% water, 30% methanol. If it becomes a problem, I'll drop down to distilled water.

Good catch ??

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Have you thought about a fire suppression system lately? LMAO!!!

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm having trouble finding a writeup / thread where someone did the entire motor swap (referring to the 2.9). I've got a truck begging me to do something with her and if no one knows of any thread of such, I'm srsly down to be the first (at least on this forum to record the project) Granted I suspect it'd be easy and I'd be using some of your info as a cheat sheet.

Yup. I have a post in the 2.9 forum with side by side photos.
I was on the phone with my gf while at work when I saw this.... you should have heard my response and her ensuing "what on earth are you looking at". Mmmmmm....

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Short clip of it running with recent updates, and with the best tune yet that's been on the Megasquirt.

Still working with the Merkur guys to sort out a remaining few relocation issues. It's amazing how different the layout is on their engines.

In the process of tracking down a water neck, alternator bracket, and possibly set of valve covers from them.

Image-335.jpg

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Wow... it's alive! Way to go junkie...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Sweet! Why the surging at the beginning though? Some more fine tuning of the MS system needed?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Sweet! Why the surging at the beginning though? Some more fine tuning of the MS system needed?
Yep. Just some warmup enrichment and PID O2 tuning crap.to get after.

PID = Biggest pain in the ass ever.

Amazing how much power that ECU has added on this tired assed engine.

Honestly looking forward to the trail ride to get opinions of others that have had 2.9s over the years to see how mine stacks up against stock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals