• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9 to 4.0 swap wiring issues

Alexrock360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I have done the 4.0 swap in my 89 ranger used a 92 as the donor had 70k on it used the engine harness and chassis harness. But I am having issues the headlights work but I have no taillights reverse lights or turn signals. The wipers only work on high when the headlights are on and only work for a minute then stutter and stop also the stop the radio when on heater doesn't work as well. I've replaced the switches and it didn't help any the truck runs great though. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what the issues could be please help it is my daily.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Did you swap the dash?

I have the wiring diagrams and '92 factory service manual I can post a little later.

If you didn't swap the dash, you're going to have to go through each wire on the white bulkhead connector and repin them in the right place.

The taillights and fuel pump are the two round/square plugs on the driver side inner fender. What did you do with those?

Alexrock360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The connectors for the fuel pump and rails lights are plugged in... I didn't swap the dash so I have redo the white pin out on the firewall then? or can I repin the one coming from the engine bay harness?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do the wires match up on the fuel pump and tail light plugs? When I did my swap I remember having to re-pin those.

You can re-pin the engine bay side of the white bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Here's the diagrams I have. Unfortunately I don't have one for the white connector.

You'll also want to check the grounds. My '89 did not have a large ground inside the cab on the drivers side kick panel that a lot of the '92 stuff relied on. You kept you '89 dash though so that may not be an issue. I would make sure you got all the grounds in the engine bay clean and connected/bolted down well.

1989 1

1989 2

1992 1

1992 2

CFaist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Do the wires match up on the fuel pump and tail light plugs? When I did my swap I remember having to re-pin those.

You can re-pin the engine bay side of the white bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Here's the diagrams I have. Unfortunately I don't have one for the white connector.

You'll also want to check the grounds. My '89 did not have a large ground inside the cab on the drivers side kick panel that a lot of the '92 stuff relied on. You kept you '89 dash though so that may not be an issue. I would make sure you got all the grounds in the engine bay clean and connected/bolted down well.

1989 1

1989 2

1992 1

1992 2

Did I happen to make a mistake cutting my plug ins off? ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals