• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger Diesel and Frame Swap

Eldridge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 For the time being.
Transmission
Manual
Hello, my build intentions are to swap my, 1989 Ranger Super Cab 4x4 5 speed, cab on to a 3/4 or 1 ton frame and drivetrain with a 12valve 5.9l Cummins engine as the power house.

I want to build this truck to tow my 25' 5th wheel (7700lbs) so that I don't need to take 2 vehicles to go camping. While keeping it capable of off-road cruising

It looks like i will need to use a Regular Cab Long Bed Pickup as the donor. The wheel base is 133" for a 73-97 Ford and 134.7" for a 89-98 Dodge. So to be able to tow my 5th wheel I'm going to need a 7ft bed anyways which would bring the wheel base of my ranger up to 131.4 which is definitely close enough for me.

I'm in search of any general input that would help in this build. I want to change the whole interior of the truck which would include hacking on the firewall to fit the engine of course. i have not started on it yet so there is not any specific things to ask about.

My main question now is what frame should I use?

The Ford frame and drive train would be a lot more expensive because i would need to adapt it to use the 5.9l Cummins engine and purchase the engine seperatly. The good thing that I like on these is the lock out hubs are aleady installed.

The Dodge Frame would already have the engine and only need adapting to the Ranger cab and bed. So it looks to be the cheapest route. Plus, I like the coil springs and lock out hubs can be added.

Here is an old thread with same general concept but just negative criticism and no useful input.

Thanks,
Eldridge

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals