• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 rough idle and revving RPM

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
V6 manual transmission. I bought this truck recently and things were fine on test drive. I took it to get smogged and the mechanic said he wouldn't even try to smog it because the idling RPM was too high.

I changed the oil and cabin air filter(there wasn't one). That lowered the idle rpm a bit.

I then cleaned the IAC valve with carb cleaner and made sure not to flip it upside down to avoid damaging IAC motor. That maybe helped a smidge.

I took it back to mechanic and asked what I could do. The mechanic said there may be a vacuum leak and to check the intake. But they also said to start by changing spark plugs.

I changed the spark plugs and the engine started revving higher at idle. I then changed the spark plug wires. Engine is still revving high.

Now when at idle the truck is revving high then makes a clicking noise and sounds like the engine shuts off (or at least stops revving) and rpms drop to 1000, then sort of catches it self and revs up high again. The tachometer is basically jumping between 2000 and 1000 when this clicking happens.

I cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and this is still and issue.

The clicking sound is coming from a thing that's to the driver side of the engine with several belt systems attached to it. The belt that is clicking a stopping (or skipping?) has a belt that has "AC' written on it. I'll try to include a picture.

Thanks. I would like to get this truck properly smogged and working.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS.

You're pointing to the air condiioner (A/C) compressor.

It should only cycle when the climate (heater, or HVAC) control is in "Defrost", or if the "AC" button is pressed.

Check your HVAC controls, and get the AC compressor off while you troubleshoot your idle problem. Get the idle sorted out first, then address the AC.

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Do you have any suggestions on the idle fix? I cleaned IAC valve and throttle body. Vacuum leak maybe?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals