• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.9L V6 - Randomly Getting Missfires - No CEL - Not Sure How To Troubleshoot

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I wanted to touch on the check engine light - so the truck does actually have a check engine light. When the engine is running its off. Is it still possible there are some codes to read? I have an OBDII scanner, but I think this is too old for that. Should I just take it somewhere to read codes? Or will there definately not be anything to read because the light is off when engine is running?

I took a photo of my dash below to show:

View attachment 94279

That was why I was hesitant taking it somewhere, and thought maybe the shotgun approach to just throwing parts at it would work - because I'm worried the mechanic might not be able to find something wrong. Unless I'm lucky enough for it to be running bad at the same time they are looking - its so random though.
Im not sure if memory codes will trigger a check engine or not.

Also no its not OBD II, its EEC IV (OBD I, basically).

You can pull codes by blinking the check engine (the procedure is in the tech library) or you can save yourself the hassle, spend 30 bucks, and get the digital innova EEC IV reader.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a link. If you plan on keeping this truck, I would bone up on how to read the codes.

Mahonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE:
I ended up figuring out what the problem is - I will explain below.

So I initially got the distributor replaced, along with the TFI ignition module, and it did not solve the problem. No change there.

The battery cable (negative) was heavily corroded, exposed freyed and oxidized wires, etc. It was in bad shape. So I replaced that. No change yet.

Next I did the MAP sensor - still no change.

Next I did all 6 spark plugs, and new spark plug wires. When I was replacing the 7th wire that leads from the center of the distributor to a module mounted to the fender well, I noticed that the terminal had some black charring/soot on it. This led me to believe that it was not making a good electrical connection, and very well might be what the problem was:
1688338000215.png

So I replaced that wire too.

Fired it back up and its now running perfect! So it could of been due to the spark plugs, the wires, or the 7th distributor wire, but I have a feeling it was probably that 7th distributor wire that was causing the problem all this time.

Thanks again for all of the help!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just for your info, that module on the fenderwell is actually the ignition coil. That is where the high voltage spark is generated from, the top of the distributor "distributes" the spark to the proper sparkplug. That was a good find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals