• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ford Ranger Mitsubishi 2.3l Turbo Swap (4d55T)

91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6 soon to be 2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, This will be my first engine swap thread. I started looking a while ago and recently found an engine and transmission from an 87 ranger diesel. I'm going to put all new gaskets etc in and if anything else needs to be replaced i'm gonna do that as well. Mine is a 4x4 with the 2.9 v6, the fm146 trans and manual shift transfer case, hand crank windows and no a/c. My one concern is that the engine didn't have a power steering pump, and I'm not finding any info online about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pics of the engine when i get the chance. I'll also try to get some of the truck, hopefully it works.

Thanks,
Calvin.

IMG_3547.jpg

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a nice truck to start with.. I was searching for that style of truck but they are hard to come by in that nice of shape!

Good luck on your project

91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6 soon to be 2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I did some more research and I think if I use the power steering pump and bracket from a hyundai galloper or a first gen mitsubishi pajero that they would work good for my application. Here is a pic of the engine.

IMG_0841.jpg

gun_mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Power Steer Pump

I recently completed the same build!.
I put a 4d55 into a 91' 4x4 single cab 2.9 with manual transfer case also. I believe the motor was from a mighty max, as the turbo orientation is different than yours.
For the power steering pump, I used a Saginaw pump and braided stainless lines. the pump bracket was made from 1/4" steel plate and mounted to the block, same side as the injector pump. I got the lines from Mopac, Of 200th street (yes I'm in Langley also!)
The pump was about $180, and has lots of power to steer. I have a full seal kit, headgasket, and piston rings left over from my build. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals