• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 2.3l Ranger, 30psi compression on 3/4 cylinders

nameiztaken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
First post! Bought a 92 Ranger Custom for $150 on craigslist with the 2.3l engine and auto trans. Seller claims "it made a noise and quit running while driving up a hill on a hot day, I replaced the timing belt"
Not sure why he replaced the timing belt, so I'm assuming it was broken. Timing belt doesn't really look new.

Getting 30-35 PSI Compression on the front 3 cylinders, furthest back cylinder is getting 170 PSI. Engine isn't getting spark because the crankshaft hub/harmonic balancer are missing, and before I buy them, I want to make sure this engine has the potential to run.
Oil is dark, no metal flakes or burnt smell. Vehicle sat for 7 months before I bought it. Engine is the 8-plug variant, I checked to make sure all 8 plugs are tight.

Any ideas? Shot piston rings? Head gasket? Improperly installed timing belt? The seller didn't seem very competent.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like a head gasket, but it is hard to be sure if it won't run.

One way to test is to unbolt the cam caps so the valves are all closed, then introduce compressed air into one of the suspect cylinders and see if it comes out one of the others' spark plug holes.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I don't think you'll unbolt the 'cam caps' on a Lima head. The cam bearings are carried in cast in place towers.

A possible method would be to remove the cam followers, push down on the valve, and force them out from under the cam lobe. That would leave the valves closed.
I'd take a look at the cam to see that the valves are moving when you crank the engine over.
I would also buy used parts, harmonic balancer and front pulley rather than new. Should be less than $25.. maybe.
If the valves were open ... to air ... to rain... they may have gathered some rust and not seal real well UNTIL you get the engine running again.
Guy hearing the noise, whatever, may have thought the Lima was interference, and he'd pranged some valves with the pistons.. or valve to valve, so a new belt might have been suggested. In addition, when the belt goes, it just will lose compression and stop running.
I would check the belt for tension and proper installation.. Is the cam timed to the crankshaft? Do you need the aux shaft timed? without a distributor, I think the aux needs to be timed also.
tom

nameiztaken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Update, conducted a wet test. The 30psi cylinders rose about 10psi when a table spoon of oil was added to the cyls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals