• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ford Ranger Custom 5MT 4.0 RWD Project for Sale

'92Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
1992 Ford Ranger Custom Project for Sale - Located in Sterling, VA 20164. Longtime forum member selling.
Tons of modifications & enhancements. Needs head gasket. Asking $2,000 OBO, please review full ad.

CONTACT INFO: If you are going to text or e-mail, mention "Teal green" so I will know you are not a robot!

For sale is my low-mileage, durable, fast, and very teal green Ford Ranger. It is the ultimate sleeper.

This truck has earned the following names over the years: Kermit (for the color), the Danger Ranger (for the power-to-weight ratio), and Charlie (after Charles Darwin, and the fact that at one point in its life it outlived all four of my then-current vehicles. Survival of the fittest!)

Over the years I have relied on this truck for everything from daily driving, to camping, to my wife's PhD field research. Because of this, I have meticulously maintained the vehicle, and kept records and notes of all repairs and improvements. All modifications were made with an eye toward improving the vehicle's natural quickness, versatility, and general ruggedness without sacrificing reliability in any way.

Note - truck has seatbelts for 3. Extra wheels pictured are sold separately.

The Good (Project items completed within last 5 years - my loss is your gain)
• Thorough maintenance records going back to 2011
• Brand new Ford Explorer clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder less than 2,000 miles ago. Explorer clutch has 25% more clamping power due to increased friction area without increasing the pedal feel. Normally a $1000+ repair but I did this myself so am only listing parts cost ($250)
• New thermostat, heater core, Ford Explorer Radiator (50% more cooling capacity than Ranger), and all coolant hoses. ($400)
• Rear main seal and several other seals replaced. Unfortunately the seal I installed at the time of clutch replacement failed. I had this done at Sunset Hills Automotive. ($1,750)
• Extensive exhaust improvements: Gibson 2.5" Catback exhaust ($450), Hedman Headers ($280), Jet-Hot Ceramic Coating (for headers & Y-pipe, $430), hardware, custom welding/fitting & modifications ($1,250)
• Extensive air intake improvements: Oversized 73mm MAF housing from Ford Mustang Cobra 302 with calibration tube and 24 lb fuel injectors ($225), BBK 66mm throttle body ($200), 3" Tubular aluminum air intake with cone filter ($70)
• Powertrax No-Slip locking rear differential ($490)
• V6 is smooth, quiet, just a little bit rumbly & lopey at idle but opens up to a very aggressive muscle-car tone on when accelerating from a standstill. Vehicle has never been raced but responds well when it needs to be driven quickly because of its lightness and horsepower and traction modifications. You will surprise more than one sports car during your ownership of this vehicle, without really even trying to go fast.
• Hurst Short-throw Shifter & Royal Purple manual transmission fluid ($400). 5-speed manual transmission shifts like a Ferrari and clicks solidly into each gear
• Entire rocker assembly and all pushrods and gaskets replaced on both banks to deal with valvetrain noise. ($300 in parts)
• Custom one-piece steel driveshaft manufactured to order from Shaftmasters. This was installed to resolve a very slight "rhythmic whirring" at highway speeds which all older Ford Rangers are known for as the carrier bearing begins to fail. Now the vehicle has no carrier bearing, it will never fail again. ($300 + new U-joints which were installed at the time)
• Skyjacker heavy-duty front springs installed as well as concentric alignment bushings to raise the front end by 1.5" and provide better handling. Truck still has a traditional truck stance, with the front end slightly lower than the rear. This is because the 4.0 V6 is a very heavy engine and the rear leaf springs have not sagged at all and are 100% good as new. ($150)
• Front steering knuckles/spindles/brakes/calipers/ball joints all swapped from a 1996/1997 Ford Ranger. The purpose of this swap is that the pre-1996 rangers have a single-piston brake caliper which is not adequate to quickly stop the truck. With the updated twin-piston caliper, the truck stops like a modern vehicle ($600)
• Extremely loud, heavy-duty 139 dB air horn installed since people tend to underestimate your speed or not see you when you are driving this truck, it is strange. This horn has saved my life when a semi truck tried to smash me into a concrete barrier but immediately reacted to what he must have assumed was another semi truck that he just hadn't seen!
• Seats are newer and in very good condition. I took these seats out of a 40k mile truck that was cruelly destroyed as part of the "cash for clunkers" program (not technically performed in the last 5 years but including here for reference)
• Valve-cover support rails (Morana V6 Racing) and stripped & custom painted valve covers DIY ($100)
• Aftermarket JVC raio and speakers ($100)
• High-energy "Screamin' Demon" electronic ignition which provides 50% more spark energy ($90)
• Far too many other small improvements, modifications, and repairs to list
• Vehicle averages 17+ MPG, which is excellent for this generation of truck.

The Bad (Project items remaining)
• Head gasket needs replacing, truck blows white smoke. Truck moves under its own power and can be loaded onto a trailer, but should not be driven until this is addressed, to avoid further damage. Unfortunately it failed just a couple hundred miles after completing the clutch and valvetrain repairs. While you are in there, you should seal up the drivers side valve cover gasket as it is leaking oil. This is the only oil leak in the entire system at this time.
• Rust repairs minor dent repairs needed on the bedsides, or simply replace the bed. There is also a little surface rust down low on the sides of the cab. Paint has lost its shine/clear coat is gone, all consistent with a well-loved 28-year old work truck.
• Water leaks into cab from somewhere during heavy storms. Could be windshield or a rooftop antenna hole that the previous fleet owner (Idaho Department of Transportation) had installed. As such, the headliner is hanging down and carpet has been wet a few times. Truck should be stored indoors until the leak is identified.
• Truck is from Idaho and never had air conditioning. It does have a rear window which can be opened for a breeze. Air conditioning can be installed by the next owner if this is a high priority.

All-in-all, this is an excellent project truck, or can be used for the many thousands of dollars of good parts in order to support the restoration of another vehicle. Or if you have space and time, part it out. You will not be disappointed with the quality of the parts or maintenance, you won't find another vehicle owner more obsessive than I am with my vehicles.

At this time, I have determined that it is best to let someone with more time available take the lead on this project and enjoy the fruits of my efforts, therefore I am willing to part with the vehicle.

For sale separately from the vehicle, I have a brand new set of tires and freshly refinished 15" OEM alloys which will complete the period-correct look of this "vintage-modern" pickup. I have included a picture of the wheels. If you would like them, add $400 to the price.

Price is open to negotiation, but you must see and review the vehicle prior to making a lower offer. Keep in mind these pickups are getting increasingly rare, and this one has high-performance parts not usually included.

$2,000 for the truck OBO
$400 for an extra set of wheels (OEM 1993 Explorer) and brand new tires
CONTACT INFO: If you are going to text or e-mail, mention "Teal green" so I will know you are not a robot!

I recommend you print this ad for your records and to help out any future mechanics before you come and see the truck. As soon as the truck sells I will remove the ad.

Note: the first 4 photos were taken January 2020. The remaining photos were all taken in 2018 and 2019.

Photos here:

Attachments

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Still for sale?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals