• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 ranger question

bubba's ranger

Reaction score
i have a 1992 ranger and it just stalls while you are going down the road sometimes. i know that it is a fuel problemb, and i thought it was water in the fuel. but then somebody told me they had this happen before and there was something in the fuel tank pick up line that clogs the line every once in a while. let me know if anyone has had this happen to them.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
how are you sure its a fuel problem? it could be a failing control module.

bubba's ranger

Reaction score
because it would stall but only at idle speeds if you gave it gas it would not stall.

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Bubba, lets start with a few of the basics. What size engine does your Ranger have? You stated that the engine would stall when going down the highway and then you stated that the engine will stall at idle speeds but will recover when you give it gas. If you could descibe to us a little more exactly when it is happening and what it is doing. Example- Does it loose power slowly before it dies or does it just shut off? Are you getting any type of check engine light?

bubba's ranger

Reaction score
ok it is a stick so when i push in the clutch and the engine gets to idle speed it will spit and sputter for a couple seconds and shut off. but if you give it a little gas right when it starts spitting and sputtering you can keep it running. it dosen't do it every time just every once in a while. sometimes it will start back up right away sometimes you have to wait 20 minutes. and i did notice that the check engine light started coming on every once in a while, but that was before this problemb. i have not noticed it while this problemb is happening though. it is the four cylinder with 8 plugs. i don't know much about fuel injection so do you think it might be in there?
thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The problem could be any number of things, but thanks- we've got more to work with now. Something that would be very helpful is to know what fault codes the engine computer is storing. A lot of parts stores will read your code for free; if you can have your codes pulled and let us know what they are. And, there's a couple of "routine maintenance" things that would be good know; has the fuel filter ever been changed?, and are your plugs and wires in good shape?

bubba's ranger

Reaction score
they can tell me what code it is even if the light isn't on all the time?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
sure thing, the computer stores the codes

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
If the truck runs 'normally' otherwise and only acts strangely when it idles then I'd suggest it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control (solenoid)).

If it dies after it gets hot and won't restart then I'd suspect the igintion module.

A reading of the codes will help pinpoint the possible culprits.

bubba's ranger

Reaction score
ok i will go get the codes checked the next time i get a chance.
thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals