• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 F-350 Transmission Question

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Greetings All !

Got a good old girl she's the Heavy Hauler in our Family, Has/HAD a 3spd. Auto trans up until today.. (can tell the fwd band is fading away.. )

Q: is there the ability to convert this truck to an E4OD ? I have the shifter handle that has the button in the end, but the wire is simply under the dash, not connected to anything (Had to switch the column a while back) what other parts are needed from a donor truck or is the trans integrated into the newer body computer ???? and simply too much to change ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You'd have a much easier time with an AODE, which was the direct predecessor to the E4OD. Most of the internals are the same, strength ratings are the same, etc, with the big difference being that the E4OD had a second speed sensor in the case.

Your 3-speed was probably a C6, so I'm guessing your engine is a 351 or 460 (I have to do a lot of guessing here because you gave fukall for details about the truck, so thanks for all that useful information that was included with your fairly technical question) which was a fully mechanical trans. The AOD-E is partially mechanical, partially electrical, and the E4OD is fully computer controlled, so you would need a stand-alone controller at least.

An AOD would get you your 4-speed heavy trans, and probably have the best compatibility to the truck's current configuration, but much like removing the computer from an A4LD, you would need to rig a switch for TC lock-up. Also, TV cable adjustment on an AOD is critical, or you will burn the trans up in a few hundred miles or less. Usually much less.

Last edited:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so sorry. tons on my head right now, plus local shop wants 2200 bucks to rebuild the assuming C6.

Yes, it's a 351, I have the button in the end of the (new to me) shifter lever marked "overdrive" (assuming it's a momentary), would a TC lock-up switch need to be a latching on/off style ?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
plus local shop wants 2200 bucks to rebuild the assuming C6.
That sounds very high. But I haven't had a shop do my trans for a while [just haven't needed it yet].

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
The E4OD is a larger transmission than the AOD/AODE.
AOD is sort of like a C4 with four forward gears
AODE is an AOD with electronic controls (4R70W is AODE with wide ratio gears) (AOD on Wikipedia)
E4OD is sort of like a C6 with four forward gears, electronically controlled. (C6 on Wikipedia)

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The E4OD is a larger transmission than the AOD/AODE.
AOD is sort of like a C4 with four forward gears
AODE is an AOD with electronic controls (4R70W is AODE with wide ratio gears) (AOD on Wikipedia)
E4OD is sort of like a C6 with four forward gears, electronically controlled. (C6 on Wikipedia)
Sorry, yes, C6/E4OD/4R100 is the HD trans series.

Yes, a TC lockup switch needs to be on/off, not momentary.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just to finish the thread, I had the original C6 rebuilt (you should have seen the black fines in the pan !!) local shop did it for 1100 bucks (Canadian) I did the R&R, flushed the cooler & lines, dropped her back in, and adjusted the kickdown cable (NOT a TV cable on a C6). like a charm... roughly 15 quarts (lost count).. of beautiful red stuff !!! and re-filled the transfer case as well (also quite dark), with New ATF.

In the process of all of this, found out that the vacuum line to the modulator valve had not one but TWO leaks in it (wondered why it was always such a hard start), as well the kickdown was way out of adjustment, removed the cable from the bracket top of the engine and a big screwdriver, in the cable hole into one of the two small holes just under it, and bent the bracket back (cable itself is non-adjustable) NOW the truck actually down shifts to 1 if under 25mph, AND into passing gear over 50mph. AWESOME!!!!!!

It's still UGLY as heck... BUT, so am I ... :)
Greg

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Congrats.

Good choice on not trying to buy a reman too.

I remember years ago we went through 3 NOS Ford Remans (Last three we could find at that) and all of them blew.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
$1100 Canadian is not too bad, I imagine I could get one done not counting remove/install labor for about $7-800. $2200 to rebuild a C6 is absurd in just about any currency.

Probably best you went with the C6, the AOD/AODE/4R70W are all very light duty. I think you have to have the electronic pieces installed as well to make an E4OD swap work correctly.

You could always go with an aftermarket overdrive box if you want a 4th gear - plenty of wheelbase in your application to make it fit nice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals