• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 Splash in SC

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
flawless performance

My co-worker, Matt and I spent the day in Jocasse Gorges on Friday. We drove forest service roads - Chestnut Mountain rd. Schoolhouse Rd and a few unnamed spurs. It was a great day of wheeling and exploring.

The Ranger did everything I asked of it and I am really happy. One thing I was watching for, based on last year's outing to the same place and before the modifications, was loss of oil pressure on steep up-hills. That did not occur. So I guess I have the oil passages cleaned up pretty good in the engine. Ground clearance is fine. I did accidentally drop my front axle beam down on a rock pretty hard. But, other than a bit of a gouge on the beam, everything seems fine there. The truck flexed pretty hard in a couple places, but never lost traction. The one time, I heard a pop around the windshield area. But it didn't crack. I also heard a weird "singing" sound from the drive shaft at that time. Not sure what that was all about unless it was rubbing on the ground or something. Anyway. It was a good test of the truck. Steep hills, off-camber sections, mud areas, sharp switchbacks, creek crossings, rocks and logs to crawl over and beautiful weather. A few choice photos below.

Attachments

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
One more photo. With all the talk about image hosting issues, I thought I would try linking to Google Photos.

well, I'll have to iron out some details on that.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Truck looks great man! That area looks really nice too. Looks similar to Utah in a couple places. Guys to hear the ranger is doing well off road. Makes me want to get my lift on my truck.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Thanks. Days like that make all the wrenching worthwhile.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I finally moved my temperature sensor for the e-fan. I originally put it in the upper radiator hose. But it ran too much and often wouldn't cycle off. I also re-installed a 197 degree (oem setting) t-stat. The fan is working correctly now. I discovered, however, that my aftermarket gauge on the dash is reading high. After refilling the system, I started the engine and as it heated up, the gauge went as high as 250 degrees before the t-stat opened. Before panicking, I checked the temperature at the Neck of the t-stat housing with my IR gun. The temperature was good there and showed the t-stat opening and closing at the right temperature. So I just have a problem with my gauge and/or sender. That's easy to fix. I also had to flush the heater core to restore heat in the cab.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Well, my heat seemed to stop again. I decided to order a heater core. That came last week. When I went to install it, there was a green puddle under the radiator. Leaking where the tank was crimped on. So i ordered a radiator. In the mean time, I stopped by O'Reilys for some anti-freeze and decided to buy about 10ft of hose so I could replace the heater hoses. I had noticed some cracking where I had clamped in the 3/4" hose flush tee a while back.

So i went out this morning to disassemble everything since my radiator was supposed to arrive today and my lower hose and new cap arrive tomorrow. But guess what. Some stupid Ford engineer decided that the heater hoses should attach to different sized fittings on the ends and require special molded hoses. ?[emoji34][emoji34][emoji34] . So i have placed another order for the heater hoses. Wait a few more days. At least we're not expecting snow and I don't have to drive the truck.

Eric B

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ha! I learned that lesson the hard way as well. Now I always order the correct hoses from Rockauto instead of making my own. I've had good luck with Gates hoses. I recommend using T-Bolt clamps in place of worm gear hose clamps when you can. They are so much better.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Just stumbled across this. I love your truck. The single/stepside/4x4 splash is the exact truck I wanted in high school, just with a 4.0l. Looks great! Those are getting hard to find around here now...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I love your truck.
Thanks. I'm really enjoying it. Not much room in the cab. But overall size is just right. The 4.0L would have been nice. The 3.0 works fine. It just doesn't have anything extra to give when you want it. I still hope to re-power some day, hopefully with a diesel or, if necessary, a 5.0L.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Aaaaaarrrrrrgh!!!

(insert multiple expletives here)

So the weatherman said we would get snow and the usual wet winter slop last night into today. I considered what vehicles I would want to drive to woirk in that kind of mess - '14 Honda CRV, '85 Mercedes 300SD or '93 Ranger 4x4. Of course the Ranger won. So I came home from work early yesterday, knowing that Fedex said the heater hoses were out for delivery. Got the radiator in with electric fan attached. then the neighbor drove up with my heater hoses that were delivered to her house instead of mine. The hose with the 1" diameter end for the waterpump did not want to go on the nipple. Gates hose. But it was molded very tight. I wasted 30-45 minutes getting that thing on and it should still go a little bit more. Everything went smooth from there - almost.

My home-made intake plenum from the filter housing to throttle body needs modification. The MAF housing points right at the upper radiator hose and is too close for things to flex and fit. The thicker radiator with my home-made e-fan and shroud installed also pushes the plenum further back toward the engine. It's almost touching the alternator pulley. So, the temporary fix was to duct tape the filter to the upper cover of the filter housing and let it hang loose. Looks like the CO2 filter thingy the astronauts had to rig up on Apollo 13. But I got the system filled and working so the truck was driveable this morning.

My commute is 30 miles each direction. The storm was just beginning at 5:00 this morning and roads were wet when I left home. Snow covering the grass when I got off the interstate near work. Stopped at a gas station for coffee and donuts before dirivng the last mile into the plant. Came out and started the truck. "What the H--- is that noise?" Popped the hood and listened. Sounded like alternator bearings. What a day. Will I make it 30 miles home before it quits? Who knows? I don't like the odds, though. I had a chance to go out after lunch and remove the belt and spin things by hand. Fortunately, the alternator seems to spin alright. The fixed idler pulley, however has play in it. That's better. I feel like I have better odds of getting home and the fix is much cheaper.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
My t-case shift motor stopped working recently. I used the how-to-tech article this morning and verified the motor was receiving power but not turning. It wouldnt even turn while detached from the transfer case. So i decided to take it apart completely, clean it, re-lubricate the gears with white lithium grease and re-assemble.

Well, it works now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My t-case shift motor stopped working recently. I used the how-to-tech article this morning and verified the motor was receiving power but not turning. It wouldnt even turn while detached from the transfer case. So i decided to take it apart completely, clean it, re-lubricate the gears with white lithium grease and re-assemble.

Well, it works now.

Seems to be a common issue mine doesn't work when it's extremely cold out, good job! come do mine now!!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Not much going on right now. I'm trying to figure out how to build my own shop and how much shop I can afford. I WANT a nice big steel building with heat and air conditioning, a nice lift, and to have someone else build it all for me. But that ain't happenin'. Looks like I will be doing most of the work myself.

In the mean time, My front wheels seem to be taking on some negative camber. I guess that is the "Soft Skyjacker springs" settling in that I have read about. Everything seemed great when I got the lift project finished. Anyway, I ordered some 3" diameter aluminum billets that I plan on turning into spacers to go under my coil springs. From reading the tech articles, I gather I might need almost an inch of spacer. So, I'll make them 1 " thick and see what happens. It won't be hard to make them thinner if 1" is too much.

I also have been cleaning up my modified intake tubing/ air filter box setup. I had removed the stock intake setup which I felt was very restrictive to air flow. I installed a filter box from an '01 Explorer (4.0L, If I recall correctly) and had hacked up some OEM intake tubing to make the connection. That was messy and didn't fit well with my new double row radiator. So I ordered a box full of 3" aluminum intake tubing and silicone couplings, adapters, t-bar clamps, etc. and made it much neater. But it still isn't right. The radiator outlet is in the way. So I have to have the filter box lifted up and tilted. Right now, it's just sitting loose on top of a piece of 2x4 that's screwed down. My plan is to rebuild the box. My new box, if everything goes right, will have its inlet facing the fender. I will then use some of my tubing kit components to pipe it back toward the windshield and come up through the fender and put a snorkel on it. I found a snorkel hood on Banggood for $12. That's my kind of pricing there. I am going to build the new box out of a material called Kydex (also called Boltaron or something like that). It's a sheet material that can be heated and formed. It's commonly used for making gun holsters and knife sheaths. Supposedly impervious to many oils and solvents. Anyway. All I need is time.
:D

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Time is the most valuable resource!

You have the 6" skyjacker coils yeah? I have the same ones and will be using the 4" holes on my drop brackets. You can have my old aluminum spacers if you want them. They are 1.5"

Can you measure the height of the coil at ride height? They supposedly sit at around 15". I'm curious to see what they are.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Remind me this weekend and I'll get that measurement for you. My aluminum chunks arrived the other day. I have access to a large. Making the spacers will be easy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals