• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 chevy 2500 HD diff...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
my grandfarther has the a 94 2500 hd and it gets horrible gas mileage were thinking of swapin axles does anyone kno what gear ratios came with these trucks or what axle would be better its got a tool box bed on it like the work ones with side doors and top flip trays its a single cab with 350 and a hydromatic tranny i gotta look at what gears it has now where would i find the tag?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
In the glovebox. There should be a white tag with the RPO codes listed on it.

The rear axle ratio code should be a GU* or a GT* number. I'll post the codes when I get home later tonight.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are getting 14-16 highway, you are doing okay. That should have an overdrive and a rear gear swap isn't going to help it. If it has 3.73s and you swap in 3.42s the engine is going to open the throttle more on hills to get the torque back. Slowing the engine down isn't going to have an effect. I know you think it will, but it won't. It's not enough. The largest gain with autos was the lockup torque converter, and you should have that already.

It takes a certain amount of fuel to push that thing through the air at a given speed. There's nothing you can do to make it get good mileage, except swap in a 6.2 diesel--which will immediately bring you up to 22+mpg.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
check to see if the front axle is unlocked ......

It takes a certain amount of fuel to push that thing through the air at a given speed. There's nothing you can do to make it get good mileage, except swap in a 6.2 diesel--which will immediately bring you up to 22+mpg.
going to go pick up my 6.2 on Thursday...... much more durable block than the 6.5

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
GU1: Axle rear, 2.41 ratio
GU2: Axle rear, 2.73 ratio
GU4: Axle rear, 3.08 ratio
GU5: Axle rear, 3.23 ratio
GU6: Axle rear, 3.42 ratio
GV1 : Axle rear, 2.73 ratio
GV2 : Axle rear, 5.83 ratio
GV3 : Axle rear, 3.08 ratio
GV4 : Axle rear, 3.36 ratio
GV5 : Axle rear, 3.55 ratio
GV7 : Axle rear, 4.11 ratio
GV8 : Axle rear, 2.72 ratio
GW2 : Axle rear, 2.56 ratio
GW3 : Axle rear, 2.56 ratio
GW4 : Axle rear, 3.31 ratio
GW5 : Axle rear, 2.73 ratio
GW6 : Axle rear, 3.27 ratio
GW8 : Axle rear, 4.10 ratio

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check to see if the front axle is unlocked ......

going to go pick up my 6.2 on Thursday...... much more durable block than the 6.5
These are the casting numbers for the blocks I know about. The number is on the rear of the block below the vacuum pump or whatever newer engines have there. An rpm sensor for the tranny controller I think.

6.2/6.5 Cylinder Blocks, info
-10149599 92-93 6.2/6.5—best block, no failures. I have one of these as a GoodWrench replacement and it spent 3 years towing for me with a Banks turbo. It's in my barn on a stand waiting for the 660 block in my trucl to fail. It may sit here forever.
-12552929—6.5
-10237141—6.5
-12555506—6.5
-14022660—82-91 6.2, supposedly crack-prone. My current truck has this. 6 years with 12psi of boost and frequent heavy towing. No failures, but I wouldn't be suprised if it is cracked and no worthy of being rebuilt. I don't expect it to fail anytime soon.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
thanks ..... I was looking for the casting number and couldn't find it ...... apparently not in the same spot as the 599 that was in my truck..... the block I picked up was a military take out....... he wasn't sure if it was taken from a Hmmwv during the 6.5 upgrade program or if it was pulled from a CUCV .......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals