• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger 2WD conversion

msteinhoff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure this has been talked to death somewhere. I would like to modify my Ranger from 2WD to 4WD. The current 4.0L is on it's last legs.

Current state:
Ford 4.0L
Borg Warner 5 speed
8.8 inch rear

Future State:
Chevy 350 (I'm not a purist, so it doesn't bother me)
Chevy Auto Tranny & T-case
Dana 44 front
Ford 9 inch rear

I'm more concerned about the 2WD to 4WD swap than the engine swap. Any suggestions or pointers to posts already discussed are appreciated.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Not talked to death because it isn't a good change, 2WD and 4WD have different frames up front, on pretty much all vehicles with 4WD
So best way to do the swap is to sell the 2WD platform and buy a 4WD platform then do the changes you want.

That being said you can fabricate anything you want, just takes some cutting and welding and VERY VERY good measurements, or you end up "crabbing" down the road, lol.

Most of what you want to do has been done to a 4WD Ranger platform so the info is out there.

Good page to bookmark here for Ranger info: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

It's the Tech Articles section, link at the top of this page under the banner
Many "been there done that" How-To's from members here

Fords 302 is just under 19" wide(18.75"), and it is a tight squeeze in a Ranger engine bay
Chevy 350 comes in at 22" wide so just a heads up for steering shaft
Length is about the same
Height will also be a concern, but body lift is being done so...........302 is 21", 350 is 27" high

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Dana 44 front end you want simplifies this a bit. If you throw a solid front axle under the front you just have to do all the fab work involved in an SAS and then lift the crap out of it so the axle and frame clear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals