• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger Bogs with any throttle input

mississippi305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi All,

Have a new to me 1994 4.0 Ranger.

I’ve driven it ~15 miles. For 14 of those it ran fine. But at a stop light, I accelerated and you could feel all the power disappear and it now bogs at any throttle application.

In the video you can see that it will idle fine, but touch the gas and it immediately bogs and misfires.

I’ve changed fuel filter made no change. Unplugged MAF, also no change. I wouldn’t think it’s a worn spark plug/wire issue since it happened so immediately and that it idles fine.

Thought about a clogged cat, but it has plenty if pressure coming through tail pipe.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/OTsRMDrrNss?si=3wJSCLjeOvQE-Iqr

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id about wager on a TPS

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Clean the MAF sensor first
Second check for any holes in the air intake tube between the throttle body & MAF. Notorious for that.
Third, check your TPS sensor voltage, best to do this with an analog multimeter so you can watch for dead spots - but you can do it with a digital one. Should be at 0.75v-1v at close throttle, and move steadily towards 5v at full throttle with no dead/weak spots. Do this with the key in Run, engine off
Fourth, fuel pressure check, should read around 35psi at idle and around 40 if you blip the throttle

mississippi305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Second check for any holes in the air intake tube between the throttle body & MAF. Notorious for that.
Third, check your TPS sensor voltage, best to do this with an analog multimeter so you can watch for dead spots - but you can do it with a digital one. Should be at 0.75v-1v at close throttle, and move steadily towards 5v at full throttle with no dead/weak spots. Do this with the key in Run, engine off
Fourth, fuel pressure check, should read around 35psi at idle and around 40 if you blip the throttle
TPS only sweeps to about 2.8V. Will grab one this afternoon and see

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
TPS only sweeps to about 2.8V. Will grab one this afternoon and see
Before you spend money on parts check the reference signal voltage too - there are three wires at that sensor - ground, +5v reference and the variable one that you tested. If you only get 2.8v at the reference wire then you have a different problem. Should see 5v there at all times. Probably a bad TPS though.

Just out of curiosity in your video, did you have the throttle pegged wide open? Will the RPMs rise smoother if you just ease into the throttle?

My old beater Explorer has a weak fuel pump, it will spit and sputter and pop back through the intake or just die if I don't let it warm up for a few minutes. Similar to your problem. I just use it to push junk around the yard so replacing the pump has not been high on my priority list to fix.

mississippi305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Before you spend money on parts check the reference signal voltage too - there are three wires at that sensor - ground, +5v reference and the variable one that you tested. If you only get 2.8v at the reference wire then you have a different problem. Should see 5v there at all times. Probably a bad TPS though.

Just out of curiosity in your video, did you have the throttle pegged wide open? Will the RPMs rise smoother if you just ease into the throttle?

My old beater Explorer has a weak fuel pump, it will spit and sputter and pop back through the intake or just die if I don't let it warm up for a few minutes. Similar to your problem. I just use it to push junk around the yard so replacing the pump has not been high on my priority list to fix.
well well….reference wire only sees about 2.3V as well. *sigh*

and it sputters no matter the amount of throttle input.

mississippi305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Replied below, but not sure if you get notifications. But checked the reference line, and it’s only seeing about 2.3V as well. Is that controlled by the ECM?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Replied below, but not sure if you get notifications. But checked the reference line, and it’s only seeing about 2.3V as well. Is that controlled by the ECM?
I don't recall, it might be. That reference wire is shared with a bunch of other sensors too as is the ground. They all report signal voltage back to the ECM for sure.

I would start by cleaning up all the grounds under the hood and in the cab. It might just be a shorted or dirty ground. There is one directly below the brake master cylinder on the frame that I've seen broken off and is easy to miss. Check voltage at some other sensors - coolant temp or air charge are in that area and will for sure share the same common power & ground, see if it's just a problem with the TPS or if they all read low.

If you can rule that out, you might pull the ECM and open it up & look at the capacitors inside, there are a couple of them. They can fail by popping open on the top or blowing a little plastic piece out the bottom & leaking electrolyte. If those fail they can cause weird issues.

mississippi305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't recall, it might be. That reference wire is shared with a bunch of other sensors too as is the ground. They all report signal voltage back to the ECM for sure.

I would start by cleaning up all the grounds under the hood and in the cab. It might just be a shorted or dirty ground. There is one directly below the brake master cylinder on the frame that I've seen broken off and is easy to miss. Check voltage at some other sensors - coolant temp or air charge are in that area and will for sure share the same common power & ground, see if it's just a problem with the TPS or if they all read low.

If you can rule that out, you might pull the ECM and open it up & look at the capacitors inside, there are a couple of them. They can fail by popping open on the top or blowing a little plastic piece out the bottom & leaking electrolyte. If those fail they can cause weird issues.
I now remember why I hate pre OBD2 vehicles 😂

Checked the aur charge sensor, 5v. And the. Just to triple check the TPS, tested it again, and this time had 5v reference and swept from 1.0-4.8v.

Makes no sense, but it is what it is.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@mississippi305 ,
Check all vacuum hoses, battery cables/connections and engine bay grounds.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I now remember why I hate pre OBD2 vehicles 😂

Checked the aur charge sensor, 5v. And the. Just to triple check the TPS, tested it again, and this time had 5v reference and swept from 1.0-4.8v.

Makes no sense, but it is what it is.
Haha, does it run better now, something loose, did your meter probe short out on something?

I like pre OBD2 vehicles because the CEL only comes on if there is a fairly serious issue and even then sometimes it doesn't, and it's not dependent on moon cycles to turn off...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
And it may have been oxidized or corroded terminals in the TPS connector itself. Especially if you unplugged, and plugged it back in and the engine running conditions improved.

I run only OBD1 trucks; I think of it as a "smart points and carburetor" system.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Haha, does it run better now, something loose, did your meter probe short out on something?

I like pre OBD2 vehicles because the CEL only comes on if there is a fairly serious issue and even then sometimes it doesn't, and it's not dependent on moon cycles to turn off...
Thats what i like about OBDI....no engine lights unless youre going to be walking in a few miles

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thats what i like about OBDI....no engine lights unless youre going to be walking in a few miles
Yep. Instead of CHECK ENGINE the OBD1 red light should say PRAY.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals