• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 4.0 (blown up) to 1991 2.3 (rebuilt)...

Smokin2.tree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi ranger forms. I own 3 ford rangers a 1991 that has a cracked frame, a 1995 rust free super cab with 4wd and a auto that had a blown up 4.0. I've always wanted a 2.3 powered ranger with 4wd. I know it would suck ass on the highways but I've always loved how simple the 2.3 is. Anyone know the electronic changes from 1991 to 1995? Also I'm keeping with a manual and hopefully doing forced induction down the road. This is a fun truck for me not some crazy big ass off-roader. I own a 1988 with a 2.9 and it has 33" I don't need another mud rig. Anyone know of any forced induction ideas? Like a turbo or procharger???

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You've got some work ahead of you making that work, The pedal assembly on the '95 is different than the '91 so making it manual might be interesting, not sure. The fun part is going to be finding a 4x4 drivers side frame side motor mount for a 2.3L 4x4 as well as a 4x4 2.3L M5OD (unless you find a 3.0L 4x4 M5OD to steal the internals). The frame side motor mount bracket is different between 4x4 and 4x2 on the drivers side if memory serves.

The 2.3L isn't bad in 4x4 trim, but it's not a powerhouse... on 235's or 31`s with 4.10 gears it should be livable, but honestly it'll get the same mileage as a V6, I think I got 20mpg if I remember right from years ago.

As far as forced induction, adding a turbo with stock Thunderbird parts isn't hard, the stock engine will handle about 5psi before things get serious piston wise, will likely need to go up a size on fuel injectors.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need the cross member moved over to the 1995 for the driver side 2.3l motor mount
You will need a 4x4 manual trans that fits the 2.3l
2wd manual trans can sometimes be converted, but you usually need to find a 4x4 trans to get the parts from, so.............just easier to get a working 4x4 manual trans, lol

Transfer case and 4x4 electric control system works with any engine computer and 4x4 transmission
You need the 2.3l computer and its engine wiring harness, there will be some wiring splices needed, since this is not a common swap you will most likely be on your own as far as matching up wires between 1991 computer and 1995 12volt and ground system

If you can get EVTM for 1991 Ranger and EVTM for 1995 Ranger that would make the wiring interface much easier to figure out

EVTM = electric and vacuum troubleshooting manual, its what Ford mechanics use
Ford makes one every year for every model it sells and its sent out with the Shop Manual set to all dealers that year
The EVTMs are usually sold separately
Ranger EVTM would cover all sub-models and engine and transmission wiring for that year Ranger
They will tell you what every wire is for and where it is, MUST BE for specific year
People buy them, use them, then sell them, so you can do the same it means they are usually FREE if you can sell it for what you paid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals