• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 4.0 REAR MAIN SEAL

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a new rear main seal the other day to replace mine while doing the clutch.

It's a fel-pro BS 40619. It came with a metal sleeve.

Anybody have any experience with this particular seal?

There are no instructions or anything on how this should go in, whether you need a special tool or not.

At first I thought speedy sleeve, but it's no speedy sleeve. There's no tear groove to remove the flange after install.

It looks like the flange should go on the outside and actually be driven on with the seal on it.

I did some research and found mentions of this but I haven't found any definitive answers.

Is there a tool special for this part?

Thanks.

ETA: Also, this doesn't seem like the rubber seal, it's brown and is harder than a rubber seal.

Last edited:

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It definitely should need a tool, ford t95t-6701-a3, or OTC #7834. It looks like it's got steps to hold the seal and the flange where the go, and stop in the right spot when putting it in.

I couldn't find one locally. You can order them online, and even the actual fel-pro tool there too, but of course nobody has time for that, especially after all this research.

Came up with a simple plan that may or may not have worked, we'll see in time. I traced the flange circle onto a coffee can lid and cut myself a spacer for the flange and seal. It's not much of a space but it worked well enough I think. Kind of slick surface to help with removal later. I stuck it between the seal and sleeve flange and then very lightly coated the inside of the sleeve where ti will contact the crank with ultra black rtv, and the ribbed portion of the seal where it will contact the block. I then tapped them into the block in a somewhat traditional manner with a spindle nut socket. I took the spacer out to see that it was only flush with the crank flange. I was able to put it back in again and continue tapping them in with a 3/8 extension. I went about 3/32 past the flange surface and pulled the spacer back out, tearing it good this time. That's enough clearance for the flywheel I think, but the seal didn't quit make it all the way into the black. It's just barely out there, so I decided to chance it rather than mess with rigging up another spacer.

I had the option to go back and get a normal seal, but after reading all the issues with these things leaking and knowing I have a mark on my crank, this seemed like a good solution to this problem. It just fizzles out when you can't get the proper tool.

I'll check back after firing it up and later when some time and miles are on it.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just replace the seal on my 02 4.0 SOHC. I am pretty sure yours uses the same seal. I installed an OEM seal with the metal sleeve. I have read about people having problems with anything but OEM seals but yours may work well if you use the right tool. I bought the OTC 7834 tool and it ended up costing about double the seal but it installs correctly with no problems. I could not get a definitive answer to which side the flange should go on but all the photos I saw showed no flange on the outside. I installed mine with it on the inside and it works perfectly. When the tool bottoms out the seal and metal sleeve are in the right position.

The tool can install seals with or without the metal sleeve. If the seal comes with a metal sleeve you need to install it with the metal sleeve. If you have a seal without the metal sleeve the tool has a plastic device that is to be used when installing that seal.

If you are near me, I would be happy to loan the tool to you but I can't tell where you are from.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The flange goes out. The tool had a step in it, part of it pushes on the flange, the other part pushes the seal in to the correct depth so it doesn't ride on the flange.

That said, Felpro makes a PTFE seal that does not use the flange or need the tool. They also make an OEM style. The FelPro part number for the PTFE seal is BS40607.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
PM me if you want a deal on the tool. Used once--works as it ought to.

cnord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I just replace the seal on my 02 4.0 SOHC. I am pretty sure yours uses the same seal. I installed an OEM seal with the metal sleeve. I have read about people having problems with anything but OEM seals but yours may work well if you use the right tool. I bought the OTC 7834 tool and it ended up costing about double the seal but it installs correctly with no problems. I could not get a definitive answer to which side the flange should go on but all the photos I saw showed no flange on the outside. I installed mine with it on the inside and it works perfectly. When the tool bottoms out the seal and metal sleeve are in the right position.

The tool can install seals with or without the metal sleeve. If the seal comes with a metal sleeve you need to install it with the metal sleeve. If you have a seal without the metal sleeve the tool has a plastic device that is to be used when installing that seal.

If you are near me, I would be happy to loan the tool to you but I can't tell where you are from.

I have BS 40619 seal with the metal sleeve. I have never used a seal with a metal sleeve. So are lubrication points necessary for the install? I plan on putting some clean motor oil on the inside of the wear sleeve, but anyplace else?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, it is a good idea to put at least a light oil on the surface of the metal sleeve that slides on the crankshaft journal. A light oil film on the journal doesn't hurt either. The installation goes much smoother that way. Loctite can also serve the same purpose and make sure the sleeve doesn't move later. That also makes removal of the sleeve more difficult if it ever needs to be replaced. I always pack the seal with a good quality grease to provide lubrication initially until engine oil takes over. My seal came prelubricated between the sleeve and seal but I added grease to the cavity of the seal anyway. That is something I learned to do on my race engines over the years.

cnord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is a good idea to put at least a light oil on the surface of the metal sleeve that slides on the crankshaft journal. A light oil film on the journal doesn't hurt either. The installation goes much smoother that way. Loctite can also serve the same purpose and make sure the sleeve doesn't move later. That also makes removal of the sleeve more difficult if it ever needs to be replaced. I always pack the seal with a good quality grease to provide lubrication initially until engine oil takes over. My seal came prelubricated between the sleeve and seal but I added grease to the cavity of the seal anyway. That is something I learned to do on my race engines over the years.
So far I am on the same track: oil on crankshaft journal/iner metal sleeve, check!, pack seal cavity with grease,check! Same as with a seal without a wear sleeve.

Loctite can also serve the same purpose and make sure the sleeve doesn't move later.
So this would be between the seal and where in comes in contact with the engine block? In the past I have cleaned the area with brake cleaner so the contact point between the seal and the block is 'dry' so to prevent any spin.

Another question: Any lubrication between the metal wear sleeve and the seal its self? Meaning, remove the wear sleeve, lubricate the outer side of the wear sleeve, and reinstall the wear sleeve in the seal.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I was referring to using Loctite between the sleeve and the crank journal. I don't think it is needed but just insurance. I would not want Loctite on any part of the seal.
I did take the seal off of the sleeve to lube it but it already had been lubed so I just put it back together and installed it. It would probably be a good idea to check it and lubricate it if it has none.

cnord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I was referring to using Loctite between the sleeve and the crank journal. I don't think it is needed but just insurance. I would not want Loctite on any part of the seal.
I did take the seal off of the sleeve to lube it but it already had been lubed so I just put it back together and installed it. It would probably be a good idea to check it and lubricate it if it has none.
Thanx.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals