• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 Acura 2.5 TL will not roll on any gear.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Found a project car to fix up for my daughter. As mentioned it's a 1996 Acura 2.5 TL. Seems to be in decent shape, motor sounds good, interior and exterior in acceptable shape, but it won't move. Automatic transmission and the wheels are locked up. Won't even roll in neutral.

I'm getting it very cheap or else I wouldn't even fool with it. I pick it up tomorrow and will hopefully have more info shortly afterward. Any ideas what I might be looking at?

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Having owned a 1997 3.2 TL in the past, I can tell you that parts are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. I managed to 'luck up' on a few things for it in the junkyard but, for the most part, they are few and far between there. Never had a problem like you mention but I recall that changing the starter involved removing the left front axle and the exhaust crossover pipe to be able to get to it.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Having owned a 1997 3.2 TL in the past, I can tell you that parts are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. I managed to 'luck up' on a few things for it in the junkyard but, for the most part, they are few and far between there. Never had a problem like you mention but I recall that changing the starter involved removing the left front axle and the exhaust crossover pipe to be able to get to it.
I was afraid that might be the case. If worse comes to worst I can get my money back at least by hauling it to the crusher - I got it that cheap. Still, I think it has potential, and even if we have to put $1000 into it, it'll still be a fairly cheap first car.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, I picked it up yesterday. The Ranger pulled it easily, of course :headbang: It's good to have a friend with a tow dolly, too.

Initial inspection found locked up front calipers (they were COOKED) and a dry transmission dipstick. Got the calipers loosened up, but it still won't roll even in neutral. Gotta check the rear brakes and the differential, and figure out why the brakes were locked up. Before any of that happens I'll be happy to just get it into my garage and on the lift.

I had figured on a transmission fluid and filter change, and everything I've read says don't skimp, get the Honda stuff. I'd like to get the fluid level right and see if it'll move, but don't want to waste that high dollar Honda fluid just to drain it back out again.

It's rough being cheap...

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Update on the Acura...finally got it into the garage and checked the differential...it was full of water and nothing else. Glad this thing was cheap.

Transmission is probably done, but the motor still runs well. Should be a learning experience. More to follow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals