• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 ford ranger 3.0 4wd speedometer "slipping" or not responsive

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I am having a speedometer issue. My transmission overdrive (Im assuming an electrical connector) is having a problem, and now my speedometer is having a problem separately.
First I have had an issue of RPM loss, and loss of power going up any tiny climb or grade, I can be in overdrive at 60mph , to 70 mph, my truck loses rpm fast going up hill....I drop from 70 to 60 mph within 10 seconds,.

my engine is rebuilt by a 5 star engine house, my transmission similarly rebuilt by a 5 star transmission house..... this shouldnt be happening. I do have what I think is a bad wiring harness that connects to the outside of the internal transmission electrical harness, the connectors or wires externally seem to short when it rains, and I lose overdrive immediately in the rain . Aside from that , my speedometer began to "slip" at 40-50 mph , it doesnt respond then sometimes it jumps up to the mph of 50, or it slips rapidly down to 40 despite constant speed. Is this speedometer issue the gear sensor? Or is this related to actual transmission slipping? my RPM stays constant when the speedometer slips. These two issues seem separated. I already changed the rear differential speed sensor....I know there is a shaft output sensor, and a gear for the trans...

does anyone know a thing about the transmission electrical harness and overdrive? I cant find a single diagram or part name for the harness plug

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Does the overdrive light flash when your having these issues?

The rpm issue going up hill seems pretty on par for a 3.0.

Anywhoozle, yes that connection is prone to damage from water intrusion. Id pull it off and clean the hell out of it and then coat it with dielectric grease. The digital range sensor is also something to check. I've seen the range sensor plastic warp/crack and water gets in. A bad range sensor can cause all sorts of goofy issues.

Here's the best I have for a diagram of the trans wiring, this is for a newer 5r though (you dont have an ISS sensor) if this diagram is at all helpful I can actually scan it to make a better copy but I think cleaning the connection and checking/testing the DRS will be the ticket.

20200119_011959.jpg

20200119_012519.jpg

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Does the overdrive light flash when your having these issues?

The rpm issue going up hill seems pretty on par for a 3.0.

Anywhoozle, yes that connection is prone to damage from water intrusion. Id pull it off and clean the hell out of it and then coat it with dielectric grease. The digital range sensor is also something to check. I've seen the range sensor plastic warp/crack and water gets in. A bad range sensor can cause all sorts of goofy issues.

Here's the best I have for a diagram of the trans wiring, this is for a newer 5r though (you dont have an ISS sensor) if this diagram is at all helpful I can actually scan it to make a better copy but I think cleaning the connection and checking/testing the DRS will be the ticket.
The DRS is where my shift lever is connected, the lever seems to be out of place slightly, yet there is no way to adjust it....thats another issue too. I adjusted the lever last year, it came lose again, so my park indicator is off and I have to press the lever aggressively to the left while in park to start . or start in neutral. The digital range sensor is 1 year new....or old whichever you would perceive. I noticed that my shift lever cable was baking on the exhaust manifold, and burned on one part of the cable, do you think this heat could have transferred and fried some of the DRS from its connection bolt?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok before you go nuts you need to start over with getting the cable, range sensor, and dash indicator in line... if the DRS is out of whack it will throw everything off and there's no point going any further until you know it's in adjustment.

Stand by and I'll get out the book and give you step by step adjustment procedure.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here... download this. It's the pdf version of the service manual for your trans. It has the DRS and cable adjustment procedure. There is technically a ford specialty tool for adjusting the DRS but it's useless and unnecessary.

Download link is at the bottom.

Get it adjusted and then see if that cures the issue before moving on. The DRS is basically just a switch but it does have some resistors in it that can go bad or get corroded. But if not adjusted it will send improper data to the ECU and cause all sorts of issues.

Also check that the shift tube bolts under the steering column are tight. This gets loose and causes shifter issues (shift lever out of whack). Super common issue.

Last edited:

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Here... download this. It's the pdf version of the service manual for your trans. It has the DRS and cable adjustment procedure. There is technically a ford specialty tool for adjusting the DRS but it's useless and unnecessary.

Download link is at the bottom.

Get it adjusted and then see if that cures the issue before moving on. The DRS is basically just a switch but it does have some resistors in it that can go bad or get corroded. But if not adjusted it will send improper data to the ECU and cause all sorts of issues.

Also check that the shift tube bolts under the steering column are tight. This gets loose and causes shifter issues (shift lever out of whack). Super common issue.

scary stuff happened today. I thought my manual brake cable would hold the truck. I was removing the lever off the DRS...and my truck rolled , I rolled right out from under, and it rolled into the middle of my street... FML. Anyhow... I reconnected it and got it the F out of there and put extra wheel chocks and a jackstand on the axle. I couldnt find any Overdrive Drum Sensor on my transmission ...there is nothing near the side of the case, is this an internal ODS? Also my transmission harness plug is wobbly, even while plugged in. Ill have to get under there and re-align the DRS when im over the rolling truck situation

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The ODS is up top by the bell housing but were discontinued at some point over the history of the 4r/5r trans (not sure when), the OSS is right near where the tailshaft/transfer case bolts on. The ISS sensor is above the DRS but your trans doesn't have an ISS, they came on 2000+ models.

The plug should have a goofy complicated spring lock on it that keeps it tight. Is this peice missing?

Last edited:

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The ODS is up top by the bell housing but were discontinued at some point over the history of the 4r/5r trans (not sure when), the OSS is right near where the tailshaft/transfer case bolts on. The ISS sensor is above the DRS but your trans doesn't have an ISS, they came on 2000+ models.

The plug should have a goofy complicated spring lock on it that keeps it tight. Is this peice missing?
I have only the OSS , I dont have a ODS, I looked allover the bellhousing...nothing. I have a 5 speed automatic (digitally 5 speed of course) , that overdrive is my 5th gear, and 2nd gear. I went to the junkyard and inspected a 1998 transmission and cut the plug off the harness to analyze it ....there was no ODS on that transmission either on the bellhousing.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Like I said, the ODS was not on all of them, it was discontinued at some point. I have no idea when. I know mine does not have it either which is why I dont know much about that particular sensor except that it vanished during the history of the 4r/5r trans. I'm not even sure what its purpose was to begin with. Pre 2000 5r44e/5r55e trans didnt have adaptive shift control in the PCM so the extra sensors like the ISS weren't required so I wouldn't think the ODS would be needed either. :dunno:

If your truck has no wiring for it, and the trans doesn't have it... ignore it.

Last edited:

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
This is the plug that goes into the internal harness on my transmission. I cut this off of a junkyard transmission to look at the plug before I attempt to disconnect mine. As you can see, the plastic broke off on the top part....this plug was a B to disconnect, it has metal retainer around it. Is it possible that Im losing connection if I dont have dialectric grease? Should I use dialectric ?

Attachments

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes you should use dielectric grease, its suppose to be a watertight connection but dielectric never hurts. If the one on your transmission is loose I suspect the metal clip is broke, bent, or not on properly. That thing locks it down pretty tight as I'm sure you found out when removing that one at the junkyard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals