• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ford Ranger Explorer Body Swap

fuzzy-v

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, yeah, another Ford Ranger/Explorer body swap thread. :rolleyes:

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Got a huge project in the works, here. Just want to say I'm thankful for this site. Been a huge help over the years, starting with my first Ranger, a 95 XL 2WD, my second, a 01 XLT 4WD, my third, a 99 XLT 4wd, and my fourth and current, a 98 Splash 2WD. Still have the 99 XLT as a yard truck/offroader beast of a thing. Maybe pics of that of that to come one day.

This thread is a place where I will keep my notes for myself (to a degree) and to show you guys my progress. I have already sourced both vehicles required for this swap, so I just need to get my wrenches out. I'm spitballing with my specifics here, and may be wrong of a few details, but every aspect of this swap is possible, verified by the other folks who've done it.

Little history on how I came to start this project - I've wanted to put a 4WD, 5 Speed V8 in my 1998 Ford Ranger 2WD, 2.5L Reg Cab Splash ever since I got it. Bought the truck 3 years ago for $500 bones, and the body is in such excellent shape for it's age, its worthy of the project. Normally, vehicles up here in the salt belt are so rotten by the time they hit 20 years of age the only place they are meant to go is the scrapyard, but my Ranger is a survivor. So, during my planning to do a V8 swap, research indicated that a 5.0L out of an Explorer would be the best bet, as it is nearly a plug and play install. Adding a 5 speed would be easy to do, lots of trannys out there for that - hard part of my original plan would have been converting my 2WD truck to 4WD...lots of fab work there.

More research taught me that the easiest route would probably be a body swap - then, I already have a 4WD chassis and 5.0L engine in one easy go - hard part is now adding a 5 Speed to the equation. Since my Ranger is already a 5 Speed, I don't need to add any pedal mounts or a master cylinder - already installed in the cab. Through other conversion threads, I have found that a M50D-R2 from a 97-01 4.2 V6 F-150 should fit the bill nicely, along with its mated transfer case (if I don't opt to keep AWD), which I have a line on in town for 500 bones.

Next comes the Explorer. I have sourced a 1996 4DR Explorer, which is the ideal chassis for my conversion - No PATS, earlier ABS system, and of course, the almighty 5.0L V8! My first steps here will be to gut the Explorer, remove it's body, transmission and make a list of what the rest of the chassis needs to be up to snuff - brakes, shocks, paint, etc. Install the lift kit, better springs, etc. If the engine needs work, it'll get done at this point as well. Headers, maybe a cam if I'm ambitious, etc. Then I will source my transmission, install it with a new clutch, PP, starter, etc, and get a full blown rolling chassis. I may need custom driveshafts/converter yokes, but I have a chum who can make me all the shafts I need if required, but thats a little ways down the road.

Once I have a rolling chassis I will gut my Ranger and perform whatever work the cab needs to be totally rust free and ready for another twenty years on the road. Then, swap the cab over to the explorer and get it installed, the the truck running/driving. Then, same for the box.

Last item is once I have a runner, is to add some big tires and make it look beastly! This is the cosmetic part of the project, and thus, the least planned and least important (at this time).

My goal - done in two years, and to complete it. I already have the vehicles needs to this project, and thats half the battle. The next half is the required dicking around to make it all work nicely, but there are lots of nice folks that have done that for me in other threads on this and other sites. I just need to combine a bunch of projects into one to make the truck I'd like!

I already have the vehicles I need to start this.

1998 Ranger, 2835 mm wheelbase. 2.5 4 cyl, 2WD Reg Cab splash
1996 Explorer, 2832 mm wheelbase. 5.0 8 cyl, AWD 4DR

Products I know I'll need (so far, to be updated):

-POR 15, couple cans, more then likely (Great rust paint, FYI. Just awesome stuff)
-

Hopefully, nothing gets in my way on this project. My first hurdle is winter - hitting that one right now. My goal for winter is to get the Explorer interior striped and the body ready for removal in the spring. Maybe I'll do it with snow on the ground but I'm doubtful - but we will see.

And of course, the one thing I don't have planned is what to do with the Explorer body and Ranger chassis I'll have left over at the end...Still gotta ponder that one.

Expect updates later this weekend. Cheers :beer:

Fuzzy

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
this has been done.

i dont think i would do it, i would put the explorer powertrain into a 4wd ranger chassis if i was wanting an awd ranger with a small amount of lift and bigger tires...

but if i was looking to go a bit lower with better handling and small all season tires.

keeping the explorer chassis can be easier to do and net much better results.

it is wider at the rear with springs directly under frame and sprung under.

matching wheel base and building custom mounting is not really too difficult.

fuzzy-v

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this has been done.

i dont think i would do it, i would put the explorer powertrain into a 4wd ranger chassis if i was wanting an awd ranger with a small amount of lift and bigger tires...

but if i was looking to go a bit lower with better handling and small all season tires.

keeping the explorer chassis can be easier to do and net much better results.

it is wider at the rear with springs directly under frame and sprung under.

matching wheel base and building custom mounting is not really too difficult.
I don't intend to keep the AWD factor. Converting it to selectable 4WD is the plan, via a 4406M transfer case. And I suppose I should have clarified, I just want to increase the height by and inch or two to get away from the factory height, and to give a little more clearance. Not looking to make a dedicated off roader with this project, but I would like to be able to take it down my hunting trails.

I spent this weekend going over the Explorer. Engine purrs like a kitten and I was surprised by how smooth the auto trans shifted through the gears, for having 230 thou km on it. Shame it won't be used. Way smoother then my 01 Ranger's 5R55E transmission which had half the km, even after the valve body repair. MIL came on for P0340, Cam Pos Sensor Circuit, but, I've seen that before and it's not a cause for concern for me at this time. I'll through a new "fake" distributor in it when I'm going over the motor, along with whatever else I decide to do at that time. Otherwise, no big surprises that I'll need to address.

Next update coming one day. Getting cold next week here so work may be hindered. If the weather cooperates I'm going to start gutting the Explorer to lighten up that body and start planning how I'm going to remove the body from the frame. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals