• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 & Newer specific Ranger problems.....

johnr66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2004 4 cyl 5 spd

My Ranger is pretty basic, so not too much to go wrong. I have some minor things:

Stumbling at light throttle sometimes. It is light, something your passenger won't feel, but I notice it sometimes.

Squeak from trim piece around radio/AC when it is cold.

Front end knock sound when driving slowly (<20mph) over uneven or lightly bumpy pavement. It gets bad after driving for hours and parts warm up. After sitting overnight it is quiet again! Independent and respected mechanic checked it for me and said the suspension is within Fords specs. What could it be?

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '07 had horrible brake squealing until I made them put ceramics on the front.
+1. I also had squealing which I couldn't seem to get rid of. Finally, I picked up a set of Duralast C-max ceramic brake pads from AutoZone, and I couldn't be any happier. My front brakes are quiet, and I don't have the brake dust other pads seem to produce.

mrkirbyv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Front Left Wheel Hubs

Both my 2003 and 2004 Ranger needed the left front wheel hub replaced at around 95k. One was making wop-wop noises at low speed and the other was a humming vibration over 30 mph. Both are about 30k later and still no problem with right hub. Hmmm... coincidence??

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Have leased four RBV's now, 99 and 02 Rangers, 05 and 08 Sport Tracs. Had leaky front axle seals on the 02 and 05 repaired under warranty. Rust on the bottom seam of the tailgate and two of the doors on the 99 and 02, also repaired on warranty.
No other problems.

Anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
:annoyed:
#1 Door ajar light.

blknite22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
+1. I also had squealing which I couldn't seem to get rid of. Finally, I picked up a set of Duralast C-max ceramic brake pads from AutoZone, and I couldn't be any happier. My front brakes are quiet, and I don't have the brake dust other pads seem to produce.

my 2008 sport has squeaky breaks, it just turned 3k miles, i should dump these pads huh? ill bitch at the dealer lol thanks guys

-Tom

scubasteve

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
-clutch fan
-throttle position sensor
-the auto tranny is weak
-the electric tcase shift doesnt like water
-altenator quit when it got a little wet
-power steering pump is noisy
-and right before i cut the ifs out the rac and pinion steering blew out the drivers side seal.

on a 98 but i abuse it.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 2008 sport has squeaky breaks, it just turned 3k miles, i should dump these pads huh? ill bitch at the dealer lol thanks guys

-Tom
Beware, ceramic pads cause your rotors to wear more quickly. To me, the benefits outweigh to costs.

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
the cam synchro is the main thing

i also had a head go bad

i get the usual clunk out of the drive shaft

the 4R44E , i believe i have that , held up fine to more than mild off roading , i pulled out a stuck sideways ZR-2 , going backwards through a foot of extremely thick mud , and i pulled a toyota corolla out of a 3 foot ditch with it

but yea , the cam synchro caused me to blow my engine

but no noises or vibration from the rear diff

i hate the permanently locked front end

and my exhaust went to hell , and burnt the side of my stepside

and one of my rear doors doesnt work

BTW the truck is a 2000 3.0 Auto 4x4 with 157k miles , just installing the second engine , and i run 31x10.50R15LT Primewell PA100's , extended cab 4 door.

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes (1 out of 10) I apparently don't have a 1st gear...

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger is pretty basic, so not too much to go wrong. I have some minor things:

Stumbling at light throttle sometimes. It is light, something your passenger won't feel, but I notice it sometimes.

Squeak from trim piece around radio/AC when it is cold.

Front end knock sound when driving slowly (<20mph) over uneven or lightly bumpy pavement. It gets bad after driving for hours and parts warm up. After sitting overnight it is quiet again! Independent and respected mechanic checked it for me and said the suspension is within Fords specs. What could it be?
you know, i think my 99 has the same exact issue. Usually on the roads I won't hear it unless i come to a crap-ass, ripple-ridden road (which is frequently in PA :annoyed:) I hear it on the passenger side, in the middle to rear. It also only happens after i've been driving for a while. I checked everything out and everything is pretty tight...so I have no clue. I still suspect something on the exhaust...

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it sounds like the passenger door is open on my 99, not wind blowing but a clunk like its not latched all the way. I cant seem to figure it out. I only hear when im driving in a field or somewhere bumpy.
Beef

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've basically kept track of everything that's happened with my truck since I received it new in November of '02.

Following is a list of the problems encountered:

Aug '04 - 44,000 km/~30,000 miles - Air Bag Light "on" - traced to moisture/corrosion in underseat wiring per TSB on problem - this problem recurred a few more times - cleaning up the connnectors solved the problem each time

Jul '05 - 80,000 km/~50,000 miles - replaced alternator

Oct '05 - 90,000 km/~55,000 miles - wiring problem in transfer case

Jun '06 - 130,000 km/~80,000 miles - vacuum hose elbow split - front of engine where it was rubbing against upper rad hose

Jul '06 - 140,000 km/~86,000 miles - new fan clutch

May '07 - 200,000 km/~125,000 miles - broken rear leaf springs - a middle spring from each side split right at the axle

Jul '07 - 210,000 km/~130,000 miles - passenger side power door lock actuator replaced - driver's side actuator is acting up intermittently, but is still working to this day, though sometimes I have to press a couple of times (either on the remote or door buttons) before it opens/closes

Sep '07 - 225,000 km/~140,000 miles - starter and fuel pump relays replaced

Oct '07 - 230,000 km/~145,000 miles - brake pedal/light switch replaced

Oct '07 - 235,000 km/~150,000 miles - parking brake cables (to each rear drum) replaced (seized on passenger side)

Dec '07 - 245,000 km/~155,000 miles - wiper relay replaced (after this, I just replaced the rest of the relays in the underhood fuse box)

Sep '08 - 280,000 km/~175,000 miles - wiper motor replaced

Nov '08 - 285.000 km/~180,000 miles - thermostat and gasket replaced

Jan '09 - 295,000 km/~185,000 miles - alternator (2nd time) and battery (original) replaced

(I've rounded off the km, and the conversions from km to miles is approximate.)

All this in addition to the specified regular maintenance (or better) as per manufacturer's schedule for fluid changes, plugs, wires, belts etc., and replacement of regular wearing parts such as brakes and associated hardware, rotors/drums, bulbs, and so on.

On my vehicle, I would say that there was (maybe still is) a problem with the relays - just today I had to replace another fuel pump relay (well, it has been about -10 to -25 degrees C up here lately - I think it still translates to the -5 Fahrenheit range or thereabouts) - funny because the replacements were all OEM Ford products.

Other problems: the a/c was acting up this past summer - I'm probably looking at replacing the compressor this coming spring/summer; the driver's side power window doesn't close completely - looks like the winder regulator has some worn teeth at the top of its travel; the driver's side power door lock actuator could give out anytime - though it has been holding its own since problems were noted with it.

In all, I would have to say that my truck has been quite reliable - some of the "problems" are just normal wear items, or due to individual usage factors (e.g. the cracked rear springs might likely be the result of a series of quite heavy loads that that were being carried during that time).

Hope this is of some help in your survey.

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
. . . Oh, and a couple of problems that are so common that they almost slipped my mind:

the door ajar light/buzzer "on" - very common when extremely cold;

problems with the multi-function switch on the turn signal/wiper/washer stalk - "phantom wiper/washers" sometimes over bumps, while signalling turns and so on.

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
. . . Oh, and a couple of problems that are so common that they almost slipped my mind:

the door ajar light/buzzer "on" - very common when extremely cold;

problems with the multi-function switch on the turn signal/wiper/washer stalk - "phantom wiper/washers" sometimes over bumps, while signalling turns and so on.
I've read a lot about the door ajar problem--and I only experienced a little taste of it during the hot summer when I first got my truck. Now, it's like 15 degrees outside, and I haven't had the problem since. Weird! I probably just jinxed myself....

Also a problem I have is my door locks sometimes get stuck and my key doesn't want to open them...the passenger side won't open at all with my original key.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals