• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 B2500 Fuel Gauge Issues

BigT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
First post on here so hello to all. I have a 1999 B2500 stopped running (thank goodness had the wife with me to push it out of the road). My local shop replaced the fuel pump and it was back on the go. When I filled the tank, the fuel gauge only registered 3/4 full. I call the shop and they said it must have been a faulty unit, and they once again replaced the fuel pump. For a second time I get 3/4 full when I filled the tank. The shop said obviously I have a bad fuel gauge and they recommended just using the "trip meter" to gauge how much fuel I have. That is not my way of doing things. I have a service manual that states the resistance of the fuel sending unit should range from 160 ohms full to 16 ohms empty. As an electronic technician, I have a variable resistor I want to insert in the wiring to test the gauge, plus I want to look at the sending unit to see if it is sending 160 ohms when full. I am looking at a connector I can separate to make the checks. It appears the only easy access is C201M/F. The issue I can not locate a diagram of the connector in my electronic service manual. I bet it is in there, but I am burning daylight trying to find it. Could someone assist me with locating the connector. Any other inputs as to why I am having the trouble would be appreciated. Thanks Tony

BigT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I screwed up the connector number. I know where C201 is located, it is C304M/F I need help with. Again thanks. Tony

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Don't have a location myself but found this for 1999 Ranger

Look here: https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/ivestoy2/2011-09-22_210621_1.gif

I assume the gauge was working fine prior to the new fuel pump assembly being installed?
If so then I would be hard pressed to assume a gauge issue

I don't see C201 on my drawing but it is just a general 1999 wiring diagram
I do see that the Yellow/white stripe sender wire is spliced(S253) and runs to PCM(engine computer) in engine bay, you may be able to test the wire there

Attachments

Last edited:

BigT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
RonD thanks for your replay and the diagram. Yes the gauge operated correctly before the fuel pump replacement. From my research, it appears some older Ford products used 148 ohms for the full measurement. If the parts supplier gave my techs a fuel pump that fit many years, but has the different resistance, that may be the cause of the incorrect deflection of the gauge. Your diagram is different that the one I have. My diagram is actually for a 99 Ranger, but I understood they are the same vehicle. Maybe I assumed wrong. On your diagram the fuel sensor comes in on C215 pin 12. I know exactly where C215 is located so will attempt to do some checks at that connector. Thanks again and Rollllll Tideee.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
C215 is on the back of the instrument cluster

I never heard of 148ohms being used by Ford

Ford did use 73ohm empty and 10 ohms full on 1986 and older Fords

Then switched to 16 empty to 158 full, 1987 and up

Last edited:

BigT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
RonD

Thanks for the additional education on my trouble. I will get the cluster out and do some resistance checks.

Tony

BigT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
Update - I pulled the instrument panel out today to get access to the connectors on the back. Reading The resistance of my fuel level sending unit, with a full tank of gas and the connector removed from the back of the cluster, I noted 150 ohms to ground, close enough to the published 160 ohms required. This should be enough to get my gauge off of the half full position, but it did not Connecting the plug back to the cluster the reading dropped to 73 ohms, I assume this comes from parallel resistance from the cluster. Turning the key on gave me 4.8 VDC on the wire. I thought possibly the anti slosh circuit card was defective, so I bypassed it as shown on several websites. The bypass also did not help. Am I to think the actual gauge is bad? If I choose to open the cluster, what is the procedure to test the fuel gauge to see a swing from empty to full? Thanks. Tony

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Does this work? It says 99+?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Another Ford not sure what year:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those are HEC Clusters, 2004 and up Rangers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals