• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ford ranger, the good, bad, and ugly

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can't disagree with the turbo recommendation. The engine could use a bit of a power boost. I think you can use the same turbo as what goes on the 2.3. Solid engine that will probably out last the truck. It's also a lot easier to work on than a 4.0 SOHC and I don't remember needing any special tools to do it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I can't disagree with the turbo recommendation. The engine could use a bit of a power boost. I think you can use the same turbo as what goes on the 2.3. Solid engine that will probably out last the truck. It's also a lot easier to work on than a 4.0 SOHC and I don't remember needing any special tools to do it.
Volvo turbocharger would work SO well with an adapter flange. Almost all Volvo engines are 2.3, 2.4, or 2.5 inline 5 cylinders. The Volvo 2.3 (can) run a stupid amount of boost, and almost all Volvo 2.4s have a mitsubushi Lancer turbo on them. Usually wastegate is set at 6.8 psi with an integrated BOV. Theyre typically bulletproof and around $30-40 at a u pull. Would make a very nice, drivable little powerplant.

Rangerblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
May look into this, the ol 2.5 is very sluggish when you have the max ac on and trying to go up steep country roads.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
May look into this, the ol 2.5 is very sluggish when you have the max ac on and trying to go up steep country roads.
What gearing do you have? I found that 4.10:1 did wonders for my '98 but it was a stick and not a automatic.

Rangerblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
4.10 ..

Only looking at other Rangers as another project, not getting rid of this one, too good of shape for the very little I have in it. I'll run it til it falls apart and then try to put it back together lol

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Exhaust is crap from the joint behind the cat to the rear , muffler is rattling from loose heat shields and it sound like a ghetto rice burner ,someone has it all jacked up and the tailpipe is welded to the hanger pointed downward causing the pipe to be just a hair away from the frame and bed and its rattling off of there too. that will be replaced to original sound
Mine doesn't have hardly anything from the converter back. A bent Y is welded to the converter. Then two 18 inch long polished steel tips welded on poking out in front of the passenger side tire, no baffles or muffler. Sounds truly bad-ass. I was at a friend's machine shop, left it idling outside while I checked on something. His dad came in a few minutes later and said "who's Ranger is that outside with the V-8 under the hood?" I'm like, it's a 3.0 V-6. He's "coulda fooled me."

Anyhow, personally, I've always liked the look of the 98-00 Rangers. I keep getting people wanting to buy it from me. Weird. Same with my Lightning. Other day, guy offered me $20,000 for it. I'm like, "not for sale. That wouldn't even cover the cost of all the mods, let alone what I paid for it. Paid for since 2013, never selling it. There's no amount of money!" My Ranger, had it 19 years. Not for sale today, tomorrow, or ever.

Rangerblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't had time to do any work on the truck lately but I have been putting a lot of miles on it driving around the last couple weeks

Ol girl is running good though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals