• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0 idle speed comedy of errors

Evilhero440

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2wd 2.0
Transmission
Manual
Hello all. I've begun refitting my 1988 2.0 ranger. I washed out the engine bay and did some good detailing, new radio, I drove it clean and beautiful with eyes wet with pride of my favorite Earthly possession. . . . Then the problems started.
The truck idled at about 2000 rpm in the way home, idle motor seemed stuck out. I pulled the carb and rebuilt it (part if the refit) Replaced the vacuum lines an retracted the idle speed motor manually. The idle motor will not budge, and I think my engine wash killed the idle speed control unit. The battery discharges overnight, and by putting a bulb in series with the battery, the drain is caused by the idle control unit. (RH fenderwell computer box) the ceck engine light does it's normal cycle with this box unplugged, but beer lights with it connected.

The HEART if my "War and peace" post is what exactly does this box do, is it mission critical for engine running? It has way too many wires to just control that motor. I have a shop manual, which has been unhelpful with this issue. Pics coming

Attachments

Last edited:

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I have an old Aisan carb from an '87 2.0. It didn't run very good but I can try to dig it out and see if it's still complete. You can have it for parts if you're ever in western NC.

Evilhero440

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2wd 2.0
Transmission
Manual
Daniel! I'm back in commission! The carb is back together, vacuum lines all reinstalled, and the idle speed controller was calling sing a lot of my issues. My current situation is that with a working aux pump and accelerator pump that it uses more gas and starts completely differently!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals