• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L Engine

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at a 1984 4x4 Ranger that has the 2.0L in it with a rebuilt top end. What is the reputation of this engine as far as reliability, design, known problems etc? I've read the page in the tech lib but I'm interested what owners have to say about it.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
I'm looking at a 1984 4x4 Ranger that has the 2.0L in it with a rebuilt top end. What is the reputation of this engine as far as reliability, design, known problems etc? I've read the page in the tech lib but I'm interested what owners have to say about it.
View attachment 30901
So just the top end has been rebuilt? Well they are reliable but the ignition module sucks! It works but when it goes you better have another module with you just in case. I would look at maybe installing a MSD ignition. Now for the carburetor the original is terrible if it is working leave it alone take care of it. I would go to a Webber carb they are more reliable. The engines only make 73-80 hp. I installed an efan and all aluminum radiator and got way better cooling. All and all the engine is not a bad engine they can last a while the parts around them are lacking. I am not familiar with the 84' carb setup but I know the 88' carb was terrible. If you have any other questions ask I know a lot about the 2.0.

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So just the top end has been rebuilt? Well they are reliable but the ignition module sucks! It works but when it goes you better have another module with you just in case. I would look at maybe installing a MSD ignition. Now for the carburetor the original is terrible if it is working leave it alone take care of it. I would go to a Webber carb they are more reliable. The engines only make 73-80 hp. I installed an efan and all aluminum radiator and got way better cooling. All and all the engine is not a bad engine they can last a while the parts around them are lacking. I am not familiar with the 84' carb setup but I know the 88' carb was terrible. If you have any other questions ask I know a lot about the 2.0.
Thanks for the response gungfudan. The rebuild was done by a previous owner and the current owner doesn't know if they did more than just the top end. Supposedly it doesn't leak, tick, or smoke. Not sure if they did any work to the fuel or ignition systems but I guess the previous owner went through everything.

How does the 2.0L handle highway/freeway speeds? I've only ever driven a 4.0L v6 so it's roughly half the horsepower. I need something that can handle New Mexico highways for sustained periods. Can it cruise alright at 60-70mph without super high rpm's?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Thanks for the response gungfudan. The rebuild was done by a previous owner and the current owner doesn't know if they did more than just the top end. Supposedly it doesn't leak, tick, or smoke. Not sure if they did any work to the fuel or ignition systems but I guess the previous owner went through everything.

How does the 2.0L handle highway/freeway speeds? I've only ever driven a 4.0L v6 so it's roughly half the horsepower. I need something that can handle New Mexico highways for sustained periods. Can it cruise alright at 60-70mph without super high rpm's?
I drove mine all the time at 70-75 mph and that was around 3,000 RPMs. I would suggest going with an all aluminum radiator when you can. Also look into getting and setting up a oil catch canister. These engines need it. Is the carburetor stock and is it one or two barrel?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The 2.0 is the same as a 2.3 as far as reliability. Less hp and torque, but except for displacement, the same engine.

If there was a problem with the 2.0, I'd prefer to install a 2.3 in its stead. All else being equal, it just has more output.

My 85 2.3 will run about 2500 rpm going 65 in OD. 14" wheels, and factory diff.
tom

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your responses gung and tom, I decided against this particular one but it's good information to know for my search. I talked to the owner and I guess they more just "went though" the engine, and only ended up replacing gaskets, still no clatter from the valve train supposedly.. :huh:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals