• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 confused rattle

Mitchell Runions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Evening guys,got a question. Just purchased a 96 ranger 5 speed with 2.3. 195,000 runs and drives fine. Has a valve clatter under load and after warms up. But also if in normal strain driving but it has gotten worse since replace coolant temp sensor. Had a starting issue but sensor fixed it yesterday. But rattle more noticable now and when rattle happens the oil pressure gauge and temp gauge flicker. But ease off gas the flicker goes away. I'm lost. The previous owner just replaced head gasket. It runs fine and power seems good ? I'm just at a loss right now. Any help or input is helpful.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Is 'valve clatter' pinging or cam & follower looseness? The former could be caused by a faulty knock sensor, the latter by low oil pressure. Some years had a pan gasket problem where the gasket turned to 'crumbles' and tended to clot up the oil pump pickup. Oil pressure dropped when that happened. Scraping out using a coat hanger bent to fit sometimes helped(reach in through the drainplug port).
If the knock sensor is faulty, the engine might ping severely. You can check the sensor using a hammer, but I do not remember details.
You can also consider that there may be a lot of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers, causing ping. You can do an 'Italian tuneup' by revving the beans out of the engine for a short while. Some will dribble a bit of water into the engine when it is running at fast idle. A Windex spray bottle works for that pretty well. The water will get flashed to steam as long as you don't go too heavy on the spray, and tend to disrupt the carbon layers. YMMV.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals