• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 EB swap

fitter404

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a project 1964 econoline truck. The old 85 hp beast needs an upgrade. I am kicking around the idea of a newer mustang donor car from a salvage auction with the 2.3 EB engine. If you check IAA auctions you can take a look at the vehicles and their condition, from scrap to run and drive. My question is if I source the whole car, what the chances of this working? Transplant all the engine electronics and auto trans electronics. Ive seen the crate engines online along with the harness for$8k. I can source the whole car for half that and have all I need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, getting a whole Mustang(rear wheel drive) with working 2.3 ecoboost engine/trans, exhaust, fuel lines, computer and wiring would be best thing to do.

You are doing a custom swap so there will be challenges
Mustang's 2.3l EB is the Mazda L engine, 2.3l Duratec was Fords non-turboed branding, it was used from mid-2001 to 2012 in Rangers

The first gen econolines used the skinny straight 6 engines so have you measured for clearance in width?
And they didn't have alot of air flow in engine bay, lol.

2.3l EB will be up there with V6 engines as far as dimensions, and the turbos get hot.
I think heat will be a big issue in this swap

Gauges will all be computer controlled so you will need to swap in the cars instrument cluster and wiring harness as well, to get speedometer and gauges working

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I owned a '65 E100 pickup for over 25 years. The limitations are space for the width of that V6 as said earlier. BUT.. you DO have great airflow for the engines in this truck or van as long as you have the bottom pan that directs the airflow properly. IF you don't have that bottom pan, you'll want to get one made for it. I love my E100. I have the 170 in it, but the advantage of the '65 and up is that they elongated the doghouse so that they could fit the 240 in it. The 240 to 300 swap is extremely easy. The vans and pickups with the 240s had heavier front axles and 9" rear ends. Those 300s are amazing engines and can be heavily modified.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmK3gOUEdUxZhvxuYEGTc2KvFu78rg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals