• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 engine interchangeability

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2008 2.3 with about 260k miles on it. I've been thinking of grabbing a spare engine just in case. It does feel a little tired and am getting some valvetrain noise. Anyone know what years I can swap with if it goes? I did find a low mileage 2.3 from an 07 escape nearby. Would that work? Also might be able to get a 2007 or a 2011 ranger one. Thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2005 now has slightly over 348,000 miles on it. except for really bad oil consumption it runs quite well. there is some valve train noise, but that's to be expected. after all, these engines do have the overhead cam equivalent of solid lifters.

the front timing covers are different on FWD vehicles, same for the intake and exhaust manifolds. oil pans too??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine in the 2008 Ranger
Its a Mazda L engine rebranded by Ford, read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_L_engine
Its a 23NS

Not sure what New York laws are but in many states you can only change engines from year of vehicle or newer and must have proof of year
So 2008 to 2012 in your case

But thats if a shop does the work, if you do the work then who will know, lol
Or if you swapped in a different size engine, you would for sure need to check the laws

2004 to 2012 Ranger 2.3l will work
2004 to 2009 Mazda B2300 will also work, Mazda B-series ended in 2009 in North Anerica

The 2001 to 2003 2.3l Duratec had IMRC(intake manifold runner control) which added no power or fuel economy, and often broke, lol, so not good years to look at

When engine or trans is out you will want to install new rear hoses and fittings for cooling system, these could leak over time and are almost impossible to get at without dropping the transmission.
Engine was designed to mount sideways so these hoses and fittings wouldn't be a big issue to work on, in a Ranger they are

Also new rear main seal, always, when you have access to it

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals