• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 timing belt

SGE

Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference is in timing belts ( if any) for the let’s say 90-95 and the 96/97? When ordering a belt I discovered there are different ones. What is the difference?

SGE

Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference is in timing belts ( if any) for the let’s say 90-95 and the 96/97? When ordering a belt I discovered there are different ones. What is the difference?
2.3 Lima

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The distributor was run off one of the timing belt gears, later models with no distributor and edis just had that gear running the oil pump so the gear was smaller. So different timing belt size. The lima was one of the few motors that survived from the stone age to modern times so there were some big changes.

SGE

Reaction score
The distributor was run off one of the timing belt gears, later models with no distributor and edis just had that gear running the oil pump so the gear was smaller. So different timing belt size. The lima was one of the few motors that survived from the stone age to modern times so there were some big changes.
Ok that makes sense. I just couldn’t find the connection as I’m new to these motors. Thanks!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's cool I love you.

• Haha
Reactions: SGE

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Actually the difference was around '92 they changed from a squareish cross section tooth on the belt to a round tooth belt which is where the replacement interval increased by about 50%. Although it is true the oil pump went from distributor/dummy drive to being behind the aux pulley in '96 they kept the same pullies and belt I'm pretty sure, I do need to do the timing belt on my new to me '97 since I forgot to ask about that when I bought it...

For the record I've heard you can put a round tooth belt on the square tooth engines but not the other way around, belts are the same length/width/tooth count but the pullies changed obviously

SGE

Reaction score
Actually the difference was around '92 they changed from a squareish cross section tooth on the belt to a round tooth belt which is where the replacement interval increased by about 50%. Although it is true the oil pump went from distributor/dummy drive to being behind the aux pulley in '96 they kept the same pullies and belt I'm pretty sure, I do need to do the timing belt on my new to me '97 since I forgot to ask about that when I bought it...

For the record I've heard you can put a round tooth belt on the square tooth engines but not the other way around, belts are the same length/width/tooth count but the pullies changed obviously
That’s good to know thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals