• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Diesel Ranger - What do you think?

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m looking at an 87 2.3L Ranger with 4x4. Apparently, it had jumped timing and the previous owner removed the head to look for damage. The head is torqued back on but everything else needs to be put back. (See pics) this happened in 2003 and they told me it’s been sitting since then.. :shok: it also comes with a spare complete engine and 4x4 transmission and transfer case.

I haven’t gotten to cylinder heads before, so I’m unfamiliar with what all needs to go back. I was looking it over in a chilton manual and it seems like the most challenging part would be installing the rockers and adjusting the valve lash. The timing belt is off too so would that mean it would have to be timed again? Is there anything else that could be difficult to a novice in putting it back together? And with it sitting for over a decade, is there anything I can check for when I go to see it?

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If it's been sitting for 16 years like that, it's going to have all sorts of surface rust on important machined parts. Stuff that is supposed to have precision ground surfaces. No exhaust manifold on it for that long, it's likely to have rusted cylinder walls, rusted valve stems, etc. Might also have mouse nests in the cylinders. It would probably be best to pull the head again, or at the very least use a borescope to check it out.

Seems like a money pit of a project to me, but have at it if you like..

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Depending on the price and the condition of the truck... I'd probably own it.

That said... it would require a whole bunch of work.

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Depending on the price and the condition of the truck... I'd probably own it.

That said... it would require a whole bunch of work.
When you say a whole bunch of work, what do you mean exactly? I’ve been reading over the process in a chilton manual in getting everything back together after the head, and it all seems pretty straightforward, like something I could do in a few days with standard tools. Seems like the most challenging part would be adjusting valves and timing but that would be doable too. I’ve worked on old motorcycles but I’m new to trucks, so I’m wondering if there’s anything i don’t know about that I’m missing, anything that wouldn’t be mentioned in my manual that would be especially hard or time consuming.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I guess what I meant was this...

It's gonna require a whole bunch of work...

It's been sitting a long time. Complete fuel system should be cleaned... Complete brake system gone through... Hoses and rubber parts... perhaps seals everywhere... fluids and lubes throughout... and you haven't put a battery in it to check electrical.... shocks... tires... suspension bushings... body mounts... ETC.

It doesn't stop with getting it running. But if that little truck is solid... it would probably be worth your efforts to put it right and enjoy a pretty rare diesel Ranger.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The fuel system will be a pain in the arse to get clean and you'll go through quite a few filters afterwards too. After sitting that long the entire fuel tank and all lines, pump, etc will probably be jelled up badly. The tank would need to be removed and cleaned out by hand with solvents. The lines can be filled with solvents and then use high pressure air to blow them out. You'll want to do that from both ends of the lines several times.

ALL fluids should also be changed. Front differential, rear differential, transmission, transfer case, power steering pump, brakemaster cylinder and all brake lines should be bled to have all new fluid in them, suck the clutch master dry and refill with new fluid, all new coolant with a coolant flush, etc.. You'll have $200 in fluid alone.

It would also be a good idea to replace all rubber brake hoses.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals