• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 to 2.9 swap

cobrasplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger,b2,150,1
Engine Size
2.8,2.9,360,302A,400A
Transmission
Manual
I've got an 84 2.8 4spd 4x4 with 3.08's and have access to an 86-87 bII 2.9 5spd w/push button 4x4. Since im getting it for free with a bad piolet bearing. Can i swap just the motor. Or do i need the tranny as well, witch it would be nice to have overdrive tranny.

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
whats the point of swapping the motor, its .1liters? and if its EFI youre going to have one hell of a time. not trying to discourage you, but if youre looking for power ive heard the 4.0 is good and not too hard. no sense in wasing your time on a 2.8-2.9 swap.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you might think about just swapping the tranny.you can use your old transfercase but you might need driveshafts depending on tranny length.if your tranny has the small slave cylinder on the outside you'll need to swap to the internal cylinder type.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
a 2.8 pilot bearing is in the crankshaft, the 2.9 on the flywheel.
that may create an impassable issue with clearance when bolting a 2.9 engine to a 2.8 tranny I am running a 2.9 flywheel so my T5 reaches the pilot bearing.
so swapping the engne with the tranny may be a necessity. if these are both B2s the drivelines & crosmembers should swap over for all the parts need(except that shot bearing)
but the wiring could be your worst nightmare

Bob

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
you might think about just swapping the tranny.you can use your old transfercase but you might need driveshafts depending on tranny length.if your tranny has the small slave cylinder on the outside you'll need to swap to the internal cylinder type.
Yes or if ya want to swap motors go to the 4.0 as said....way more power and about the same mileage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals