• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 and 2.8 flywheels and clutches?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is there any difference between 2.9 and 2.8 flywheels and clutches?

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
the only diffrence is the pilot bearing with a 2.8 its in the crank, 2.9 its in the flywheel.

Bob

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Except for 1985, which has it in the flywheel.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So the EDIT: fm145 will fit either 2.8 or 2.9, but I need to get the 2.9 flywheel? Or can I use the 2.8 flywheel? Which flywheel woould be better on my 2.9?

Last edited:

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
So the fm146 will fit either 2.8 or 2.9, but I need to get the 2.9 flywheel? Or can I use the 2.8 flywheel? Which flywheel woould be better on my 2.9?
is this an upgrade or cheap swap. the stronger easy swap is the M5OD.

Bob

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would refuse an FM146 for a swap into a 1983-87 vehicle even if it was free. For all the work you'll need to do to fit that in, just buy a Mazda.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
is this an upgrade or cheap swap. the stronger easy swap is the M5OD.

Bob
Upgrade swap from an a4ld 4x4 with electric xfer case. I have a EDIT: fm145 with manual xfer case in unknown condition and a 2.8 flywheel and clutch assy that came off a 2.8 4x4.

My tranny shop said the M5R1 (same as M5OD, correct?) are better and easier to get parts for than the fm146 or Mitsubishi tranny, but wasn't sure if they would be a direct bolt up to my 2.9. I was going to have the tranny and xfer rebuilt and then I'd install it, but he doesn't have any good cores at the moment, they all need lots of parts to be rebuilt properly = $$$. I want to do this right (one time only...LOL) and so I'm trying to gather all the parts and rebuild as needed so that it can be done all in one weekend. :) Unlike my cab/bed, dual tank, reciever hitch, etc swap. :icon_twisted: :icon_rofl:

So it would be that much better to do the M5R1? What all would I need as far as flywheel, clutch , drivelines, etc to do the M5R1?

Last edited:

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
So it would be that much better to do the M5R1? What all would I need as far as flywheel, clutch , drivelines, etc to do the M5R1?
yes

little different than the other 5speed discussed.

IIRC the '89 of the same vehicle will have everything you need.

in my opinion the hardest part of this chore will be the pedal & such.

Bob

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Going to junkyard tomorrow...any tips appreciated as far as special tools for clutch pedal etc.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
to get a m5od of that bellhousing pattern you need a 4.0l tranny.the m5od from my 91 exploder is the same length as my fm-146 so you might be able to use the drivelines that came with a fm146 truck if you use the same type of transfer case as was on the 146.you need the flywheel,clutch,starter and positive battery cable/starter jumper harness from the donor truck to hook up to the starter.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the FM146 is a drop in replacment for a 4WD M5OD with the right bellhousing pattern. Both are the same length as the A4LD.

You can reuse your existing transfer case and driveshafts with it.

An M5OD from behind a 4WD 2.9L will work as well, though these aren't all that easy to find (most had FM146s). The gear ratios are not the same -- 2.9Ls are slightly wider.

A 2WD M5OD will NOT work. Don't even ask about "converting." An M5OD from behind a 3.0L or any 4banger will NOT work, unless you are highly skilled at cutting and welding cast aluminum.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i would have never rebuilt my fm-146 if i had seen more of this site at that time,i'll save my m5od for later.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry guys, it's an FM145, not FM146 that I have...musta been late :beer::beer::beer: when I read the tag on it.

My tranny guy is going to build a 2.9 version of the M5R1 for me and I'm re-using my BW1350 because I have it already and it feels real good, but going to open it up to be sure and at least change seals while it's apart. Got a flywheel for 2.9 today with new ring gear and all re-surfaced. Prolly use a stock type Luk brand clutch. FYI, clutch place says 2.8 and 2.9 flywheel is supposedly different but they didn't know how and didn't have one of each to compare.

Going to yard tomorrow :3gears: to look for pedals and tcase shifter assy...wish me luck.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The first year of the Mitsubishi FM145 was 1985, so it will only work with the '85 2.8 flywheel, which is the same as the 2.9 flywheel.

The T-K transmissions used with the pilot-bearing-in-the-crank '83-84 2.8 setup had a longer pilot "snout" on the input shaft.

The clutch disc and pressure plate is the same, but '85 was also the first year for the "internal" slave cylinder.

AD

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, that makes a bit of a difference.... an FM145 is two inches too short and you're going to be doing quite a lot of work to cram that in there.

The transfer case should work fine. But the shift lever won't. It was meant for a case mounted two inches further forward, so it's going to hit your dashboard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals