• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 EGR REmoval

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Whats the part number on the ECM?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
E8 is an 88 ECM.

Fords first 2 digits in part numbers is the year that part was designed. The first letter designates decaded (C-60s, D70s, E80s, so on) and the second number is the year within that decade.

So E8 would be...1988.

Why dont you start a new thread here in the 2.9 forum. and itll draw more attention. That way you can get all the smart dudes out to help.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Rock Auto shows that the ECM is an '88 4x4, auto trans, with federal emissions (E8TF-UA). I don't know if the 4x4 will cause any issues in a 2wd. The EGR position sensor (EVP), the EGR solenoid, and the knock sensor should be disconnected when using the '88 or later ECM. It's possible that leaving those sensors/solenoid connected may not be an issue (if their respective pins aren't used on the '88 ECM), but I would disconnect them just to be sure. You should be getting a code 95, because the load side of the fuel pump circuit on an '86 does not go back to pin 8 on the ECM like '88 and later ECM's do. You can also disconnect the vacuum reservoir from the vacuum tree on the intake as it's also part of the EGR system.

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I played around with the truck some more today and swapped my old ecm back in and the truck ran pretty good, idle was still a little floaty but power seemed there. then I plugged the 88 ecm back in drove around and it ran just as bad as the first time, idle would drift up by about 200 -300 rpm when shifting from drive to neutral or into park and then slowly come back down to around 850-900, and when I would crack the throttle it would hesitate real bad. But this time I was able to pull codes 95 and 86. code 95 had me checking grounds and checking fuel pressure and scouring everywhere for answers, so thank you Paulos for the info. I cleared the codes and did an KOER test and both codes came back, book says code 86 is adaptive fuel limit reached or 3-4 shift solenoid circuit failure. I will post an updated version of this to the 2.9 page.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im wondering if that ECM is any good.

You crack the case and peek inside?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you get a good working ECM, the code 95 is fairly simple to fix. You'll need to get an ECM connector pin (with wire attached) from a junk vehicle, pop it into your ECM connector at the pin 8 position, and connect the wire to the line/input side of the inertia switch.

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't open it up but my co-worker said he did before giving it to me, said all the circuits/boards were foam sealed up, couldn't see much. But who knows. Advanced Auto sells refurbished ecms for and 89 auto, but they didn't carry one specifically for a 88, only had a CA emissions 88... Wondering if it's worth trying the 89.

Also probably worth noting, I pulled the iac valve plug and the RPMs dropped down to the 550-600 range with both ecms, not sure if that qualifies as me having a potential air leak. Upper and lower intake was removed and cleaned last year along with new vacuum lines so I hope not.

Thanks for the fix Paulos, i was thinking of making a pin but your idea sounds easier. Do the 88+ ecms need that connection to operate correctly?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
An 89 ECM is the same as a 88 to my understanding.

Foam sealed up? I think hes feeding you a line o' shit lol. If you undo the screws the cover comes right off and you can see all the motherboard circuitry and stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals