• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 ingnition MIA

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
well I'm down to getting the thing to start.....after overhaul, (yes I can hear the collective "OHHH~boy....sigh"):shok:

Pretty sure I have gas, in fact, gas is coming out of the FPR vacumm line...need to replace it.

Just no spark...:dunno:
New: cap & rotor, wires (accel) and plugs, (accel) coil and accel (TFI), I wanted to really freshen up the ingintion.

checked tonight the primary and secondary coil voltages, both in spec (better be with a new coil).

Checked resistance on the coil wire- over 7000ohms I think that is OK
checked the voltage to the ingnition mod (on the distrib) thats oK 12v {key on } second and third pin

I'm admittally not very good with electrical end of things.

what else can I check??? and more importantly ....How do I check it...???

where is this SPOUT exactly??? some mentioned that it is toward the front of the engine bay, by the raditator??....I have a everything hanging on the passagner fender (inside)

any help appreciated

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Spout on mine is about 6-8 inches from dist. on pass side of upper intake. It normally isn't far from the dist.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the tfi is the module on the back of the distributor right?i got one from jegs and it dident have the 3 pins pointed up that connect to the pip in the distributor so i couldent use it. if they sold you one like that your truck won't spark at all.hope this helps.i have accel multi spark ignition box that plugs in between the coil and harness maybe thats what you ment by tfi?

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
is the distributor in right?number 1 piston at tdc?not trying to be a smart ass just that i did that when i put mine back together.i have a blown up muffler mounted in my garage on the wall as a conversation piece now.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
OK 1st off....THanks for the input...much appriecated...TRUELY

2nd
GOOD news!!! IT lives!! got it to fire up Sat. Morn there was a DOOHICKY on the inside of the passanger fender (3 wires and 1 vacuum line going to it, just bigger than a lighter, old flip top)...OH, BTW, the DOOHICKY was on the firewall just left and above the distributor...but the donor is a 87' and the "project" is 86'.

I basically got frusrtated....It appeared that all the new items listed were ok...so before I pulled the distributor, thinking it was the pickup coil, below the stator ring. I swapped out the DOOHICKY from donor truck that I also had.
put everything back together...& wonders of wonders it Ran!!! PTL!!!

NOW i'm in the process of putting fenders back on...it fires right up with 2 seconds on the starter. {with fenders and inner plastic fender liner off spark plugs are A-LOT easier to deal with.}

It stumbles/surges a bit after start up....but that maybe remainder of 3yr old gas...hmm
after a min or so it flaten out runs like a top.

THANKS again!!

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

2nd
GOOD news!!! IT lives!! got it to fire up Sat. Morn there was a DOOHICKY on the inside of the passanger fender (3 wires and 1 vacuum line going to it, just bigger than a lighter, old flip top)...OH, BTW, the DOOHICKY was on the firewall just left and above the distributor...but the donor is a 87' and the "project" is 86'.

I basically got frusrtated....It appeared that all the new items listed were ok...so before I pulled the distributor, thinking it was the pickup coil, below the stator ring. I swapped out the DOOHICKY from donor truck that I also had.
put everything back together...& wonders of wonders it Ran!!! PTL!!!

NOW i'm in the process of putting fenders back on...it fires right up with 2 seconds on the starter. {with fenders and inner plastic fender liner off spark plugs are A-LOT easier to deal with.}

It stumbles/surges a bit after start up....but that maybe remainder of 3yr old gas...hmm
after a min or so it flaten out runs like a top.

THANKS again!!
thats great!

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic

2nd

THANKS again!!
The DOOHICKY... I guess, according to the repair manual... is a ECC-IV module...just for clearifacation for those who are wondering.

...yes, on this 86', the ECC-IV mod was mounted on the inside fender sandwhiched in by the air box for the filter

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a little confused, if it was located on the firewall, passenger sideish, 3 wires and a vacuum line, my guess is the MAP sensor.

Pete

Edit:
Oh, the "ECC-IV module" is probably the PCM located in the passenger side kick panel(interior).

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a little confused, if it was located on the firewall, passenger sideish, 3 wires and a vacuum line, my guess is the MAP sensor.

Pete

WELL that maybe true, that it is the MAP sensor....I'm just looking at the manual in the section of the "ignition system"...the picture only shows that as well as the ignition key,...no real orietation to tell where items are located?? I just drew the conclusion that what & where is was....didn't mean for confusion...sorry

would the MAP sensor be part of the ignition??...or fuel?? or emissions?
what exactly does the EEC-IV module do?? can't really see it in the book.

thanks again

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Pete

WELL that maybe true, that it is the MAP sensor....I'm just looking at the manual in the section of the "ignition system"...the picture only shows that as well as the ignition key,...no real orietation to tell where items are located?? I just drew the conclusion that what & where is was....didn't mean for confusion...sorry

would the MAP sensor be part of the ignition??...or fuel?? or emissions?
what exactly does the EEC-IV module do?? can't really see it in the book.

thanks again
EEC_IV is the pcm(powertrain control module)or the engine computer.MAP sensor reports (manifold air pressure) to the computer.for better explanation please look at the tech library.i use haynes manual in absence of factory tech manual and it helps with familiarization.there is a ton of reading that goes into this rbv endeavor but it is starting to payoff.hang in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals